Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Community > Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
Super Moderator

View gma2rjc's Photo Album My Photos
Default Gluten Free - Let's Chat!

Well, I was just given the book "Wheat Belly" and am only about 20 or so pages into it.

After talking to a few people who have gone to gluten-free eating and learning what I can online, I'm really interested in starting a conversation here about other peoples' experiences with and without gluten in their diets.

Until now I had seen some gluten-free foods in the store and had heard a few things about it, but never knew there was so much to it or that SO many people have issues with it.

Right now, my biggest interest is in learning how to make rice flour and other kinds of flour at home because they're so expensive at the store. I'd like to try making the gluten-free bread instead of paying $5.39 for a 12 oz. loaf out of the freezer at the grocery store. But I probably won't be happy until I can bake a loaf that tastes at least as good as the frozen stuff (Udi's).

Anyhoo, I'll start out by telling what convinced me to try eating gluten-free foods.

This past Saturday, at our family reunion, my uncle, who is about 62 yrs. old told me about how he stopped eating foods with gluten in them, to lose weight. He wasn't heavy to begin with, but he might have needed to lose 10 to 20 lbs. or so.

He said that for the past 20 years he's been playing on a softball team and when he throws the ball, he has to throw it in an awkward way because there is something wrong with his shoulder that if he throws the ball the way he did when he was a kid, it causes a sharp pain in his shoulder. So he throws it in a different way, but even at that he said he still has a lot of pain in that shoulder for 2 to 3 days after playing.

He said he has also had a slight pain in one hip for quite a few years. It's not so bad that it requires pain pills or anything, but it's something that's just always there.

So after cutting gluten out of his diet for a month or so, he noticed that after his last two softball games, he didn't have any pain in his shoulder. Then he noticed that his hip doesn't hurt anymore.

When he was talking about that, one of my aunts walked up and joined in the conversation. She said that all of her adult life she's had severe indigestion and ate a lot of Tums to help control it.

She and her doctor tried for years to figure out what was causing it. Then one day she mentioned to him that her sister has Celiacs disease and he said, "Well, why didn't you tell me?". So he had her go on the gluten-free diet and the indigestion went away.

So anyway, I'm trying this to see if it will help me control my diabetes. From what I've read, people claim that it has helped them keep their blood sugar under control.

Barb

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesn’t matter if you’re just getting started or if you’re an old pro, you’ll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it’s totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 04-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
Craft Intern

View glynisrose's Photo Album My Photos

I tried gluten free and it did nothing for me - and I didn't lose an ounce!!
glynisrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,026 Times in 971 Posts
View pinokeeo's Photo Album My Photos

We make our own bread and weren't very happy with the wheat bread that we were making. Someone told us to add a little gluten to make the bread lighter. We tried it and found that we were less happy with the results. A few weeks ago we had a conversation with a jewish woman who makes bread without yeast. She said to add a tablespoon of water instead of the gluten. We have changed our recipe to increase the water, added a little barley flour, reduced the gluten, and baked the bread in the over instead of baking in the bread machine. The results are amazing. Not gluten free, but a lot less gluten and a great loaf of bread.

We have not gone gluten free, but we have cut back on foods with gluten in them, and we are losing weight a little at a time. I suppose if we went gluten free, we would see more results, but we're pretty happy with what we're doing now.

I don't know about health benefits otherwise, but I seem to have a lot more energy, and a lot less muscle pain (I have post-polio syndrome), so I think there may be something to it.

Barb, I think you should try it for awhile just to see for yourself if there is merit to it.

Strangers are just friends that we haven't met yet.
pinokeeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Master Crafter

View gremlin's Photo Album My Photos

My oldest sister's family has a lot of "issues". Her oldest daughter's daughter had problems from the time she was a baby. Regular baby formula caused intestinal issues. It wasn't until she was almost a teen that a doctor finally found out that she has Celiac. Now my niece's whole family is mostly gluten-free (and dairy-free). It has made an immense difference in my great-niece's life. She can actually do things now (before she was always too sick). My sister and her husband (and other of her kids/grandkids) have reduced or eliminated gluten from their diets. They say it works pretty good for them.

I do a gluten-free cracker sock at Christmas for the one great-niece who is definitely gluten-free. The other kids get regular cracker sox (since they aren't allergic to the gluten).

gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Craft Intern

View gammykatie's Photo Album My Photos

In researching my condition (ulcerative colitis) I read that going gluten free to lose weight is not a good idea because it is hard to get a balanced diet if you just cut out gluten.

Barb - I would talk to your Dr. about your family history and get some guidance from the Dr. or his/her dietitian.

Celiacs is more common than most drs. think so they don't ask about it when doing a family history, if they do a family history..... I had a dr. that didn't ask anything about family members..... didn't stay with that dr. very long.

in the meantime.... research which foods are high in gluten and stay away or reduce those from your diet and see how you do.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Thanks everyone. GAMMIEKATIE, you're the second person today who has suggested talking to my doctor first. A girl who lives down the street whose family (on her dad's side) does have Celiacs suggested it too.

As far as I know, I don't have Celiacs. I haven't ever been tested for it though. But from what I understand there are people who have it and then those who are sensitive to gluten. I wonder if a person can be tested for sensitivity to it.

I've been doing a lot of reading about it online and taking notes. The trouble is that there is conflicting information - typical of any 'information' found online.

The nice thing, so far, is that there are a lot of good recipes out there. I have yet to try any of them, but am looking at some on the King Arthur Flour Company website. From the reviews they're getting, it looks like some of them are worth a try. Here's the link if anyone wants to check...

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...-free/view-all

One thing I realized that I also need to talk to the doctor about (if he thinks I should be concerned about gluten) is the amount of carbs in the gluten-free foods. They're not really higher than regular food, but it's been tempting to think, "Hey, I can have this, it's gluten-free", but I also need to still watch the carbohydrate count. In all the reading I've been doing, I haven't seen anyone mention it.

As far as not getting enough nutrition with a gluten-free diet, from what I understand, other non-gluten grains like quinoa, millet, amaranth, flax etc. have more nutrition than wheat, rye and barley to begin with, but it's definitely something I need to learn more about.

Gremlin, when/if you get time, would you mind posting the recipe for the crackers you make for your niece? I know you're really busy a lot of the time, so don't feel like you have to.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,026 Times in 971 Posts
View pinokeeo's Photo Album My Photos

Barb, you might want to see what you can find about the difference between compound carbohydrates and simple carbohydrates. It does make a difference in what you choose to eat. Almost all veggies are carbohydrates, but they are simple carbs. Most breads fall into the compound carb category.

Strangers are just friends that we haven't met yet.
pinokeeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Thanks pinokeeo, I'll do that.

Barb

Old 04-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
Master Crafter

View gremlin's Photo Album My Photos

Here ya go Barb......

Basic Cracker Recipe gluten free

1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour *
½ tsp xanthan gum **
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
3 Tbsp butter (or margarine)
½ cup ice cold water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (or non-stick foil).

Mix dry ingredients.
Cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly.
Add cold water a very little at a time until dough comes together (I only needed ¼ cup water).
Chill dough in fridge for about 10 minutes.
Roll out dough between two pieces of wax paper or parchment paper to about 1/8 inch thick (about the thickness of a nickel).
Place on cookie sheets.
Bake for about 7-10 minutes until just beginning to brown

You can add whatever “flavorings” you want.
For cheese crackers, add ½ cup sharp cheddar, ½ cup grated parmesan, and 1 tsp smoked paprika. Mix into dough right before you roll it out.
For nut (or popcorn) crackers, chop the nuts fine and as you roll out the dough, coat top and bottom with chopped nuts. Rolling the nuts into the dough keeps them from falling off. I have used almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds, and popped popcorn.

*If you use regular flour, you will get a biscuit rather than a cracker. To do a cracker, try rice flour or another flour that does not have gluten.
**Only use xanthan gum if the flour you use calls for it.

gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gremlin For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Thank you gremlin! If I get a chance this week, I'm going to try making these.

Barb