Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Community > Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Pro Crafter

View DoilyMania's Photo Album My Photos
Default My first Race...

Some of you know back in November I started my breathing exercise to try improve my breathing and asthma. In beginning it was hard but since then I improve alot. My asthma really got much better. So to celebrate my success and to proof myself I can do it I sign up for my first 5K walk. It is 2011 Boise Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I am very excited about this.

Susan G. Komen fought breast cancer with her heart, body and soul. Throughout her diagnosis, treatments, and endless days in the hospital, she spent her time thinking of ways to make life better for other women battling breast cancer instead of worrying about her own situation. Moved by Susan’s compassion for others and commitment to making a difference, Nancy G. Brinker promised her sister that she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer.
Though Susan lost her battle with the disease, her legacy lives on through the work of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®, the organization Nancy started in her honor. Komen for the Cure is the global leader of the breast cancer movement, having invested more than $1 billion since its inception in 1982. Komen’s promise is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures.
Across the country, that promise is upheld by a network of 121 local Affiliate offices. At the heart of each Affiliate is a person or group of people who, like Susan, wanted to make a difference.

Boise Affiliate story
The Susan G. Komen for the Cure Boise Affiliate is a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization, operating with the assistance of hundreds of volunteers, a full-time Executive Director and two part-time staff members.
In 11 years, we have granted over $3.4 million dollars that stays in our local service area and is dedicated to breast cancer awareness, education, screening, support and treatment in Idaho.
The first Komen Boise Race for the Cure®, was held in 1999. With over 6,500 participants, it was the largest ever participation level for a Komen first year race. Over 16,000 people participated in the 2010 Komen Boise Race for the Cure® - the largest in our race history.
Up to seventy-five percent of our proceeds are awarded each year through a grant process to local organizations. Each grantee conducts a program that offers breast cancer education, screening or treatment to residents of our 19 Idaho county service area.
The remaining 25 percent of our proceeds is directed to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure® National Research Grant Program to fund research on a national and international level.

DoilyMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesn’t matter if you’re just getting started or if you’re an old pro, you’ll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it’s totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 05-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Pro Crafter

Well, two more days till my race... I did walk every day to get ready for it and I think I will be doing fine. I am getting excited ...
Old 05-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Creative Crafter

View Trud's Photo Album My Photos

Best of luck with your race. I am happy that your health has improved! I know you'll do great.
Trud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #4
Pro Crafter

Here it is... It is 5am I am getting ready for my race. My goal is just to finish it... so we will see how will go ..
Old 05-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
Creative Crafter

View kenbo's Photo Album My Photos

Good luck. I hope you do well. I can't imagine your sense of accomplishment right now. Good for you!!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
Super Moderator

View gma2rjc's Photo Album My Photos

Gloria I don't know how I missed this thread. Thanks for telling the history of the Susan G. Komen foundation. I didn't know the whole story.

I was going to say good luck in the race, but you're probably there already. But good luck anyway.

You really worked hard for this race. What an accomplishment to go from having a hard time breathing when you walk to learning to breathe from your nose to walking a 5k race!

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Barb

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
Creative Crafter

View tdiprincess's Photo Album My Photos

That's really awesome! I can't wait to hear how you did in the race!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
Craft Addict

View Angela's Photo Album My Photos

Nicely put Barb!
Gloria, it has been over three hours since your post this morning (which was just before 8am here!) and I hope you are enjoying yourself! I can't wait to hear about it. Way to go!

My daily project was completed on January 25, 2012, but you can still visit my blog The Daily Turtle if you would like to see my adventures making or photographing a turtle every day for a year.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
Pro Crafter

Yeeeah ...I did it...It took me 55 minutes . Ok my lags hurt now but my lungs did well ...feeling goooood. It was so many people there. I am very glad that I participate.

Thank you guys!!
Old 05-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
Creative Crafter

View kenbo's Photo Album My Photos

Congratulations!!!!!!