Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Craft Forums > Crafting Business

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View spindle's Photo Album My Photos
Default How to determine a price and find customers for you handcrafted products?

Hello craft lovers,

I wanted to ask if you have any ideas or know-how on starting selling handcrafted products and how do you pick a price for them?

15 years ago my father came up to the idea of making a wooden product which would be based on the Baltic spindle motif but would be functional and handy in daily life.

I encouraged him to try and he already made several of them.

I know that people sell items online in e-shops like ebay. Yesterday I've made the first listing and you can find the description and some photos here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1710985382...84.m1555.l2649

What is your opinion regarding this spindle tray with three cutting boards?

Is it worth your attention? How about the price?

spindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 08-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Newbie Crafter

View Cool Crafts's Photo Album My Photos

Well when pricing an item you have a few factors to considers, 1 cost of disposable material you put into the product, so sand paper and the actual wood and any carving tools you used. (carving tools will be used on multiple projects so these can be factored in at a fraction) if that piece of wood cost you say 20 pounds and you used 2 pounds worth of sand paper and the chisels you used cost another 20 pounds (here is where you fraction it) charge 2 pounds for use of chisels then your base price to cover materials is 22 pounds. now you have to pay yourself for labor,depending on how long you worked on it charge yourself 15 to 20 pounds an hour labor, so lets say that piece to 3 hours to do. Your final price for your customer will be 82 pounds, now if it took 10 hours but you don't want to charge your customer hundreds of pound just charge yourself less. especially if this is more of a hobby and side work for a little extra money.

Sorry if that rambled and I hope it helps.
Cool Crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cool Crafts For This Useful Post:
Kurban (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
Craft Intern

View rachrob's Photo Album My Photos

Wow I think that piece is really stunning. I am sure that a lot of time and love went into it. I think it is probably worth the asking price... Unfortunately online selling isn't as easy as people make it out to be. The market online is over saturated and highly competitive. I read in a book about selling jewelry that the average piece of jewelry on etsy sells for $5 to $12 - more expensive, specialty items are a harder sell their. I suggest doing some research on the different ways places to list online so that you make sure you are using a site that will maximize potential sales. There are sites that are specifically for artists. People shopping on ebay may not be the most sophisticated shoppers - and a beautiful hand carved piece might not even enter their minds to search for. I would imagine you might have better luck selling in craft fairs, or consignment based gift shops and boutiques that are a bit more artsy.

Next time I need to buy a gift - I will keep this in mind though. I think it is really beautiful and I love intricate woodwork. )
rachrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Newbie Crafter

View valeritta's Photo Album My Photos

Those are amazing...yes selling crafts online is not easy at all, although if you are persistant i have seen some pretty amazing facebook pages on crafts and they get quite a following. It may be cheap advertising but it takes quite a bit of work that way, and you could use it for a webpage of sorts, and make cards directing people to pictures on facebook. Also you could try selling at farmers markets as well as craft fairs but i would lean towards doing it around christmas time. They are amazing , such talent, and i can tell he enjoys making them =)

valeritta is offline   Reply With Quote