Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Craft Forums > Crafting Business

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2017, 01:11 AM   #1
Craft Intern

View Wanderer's Photo Album My Photos
Default Not for profit Community Craft Shop problems

Hi all (long rant, sorry)

I have recently been appointed President/Secretary of the committee of a local not for profit community art and craft shop.
The shop has been operating for about 5 years and is definitely due for a bit of 'reinventing' to bring it into this century.
We have started making some changes to the shop like colored flags for outside and I applied for, and was successful in being given a grant of $5000 for air conditioning and new shelving and display stands for the shop. Yeah!!!

The main problem is, and always has been, that many members seem to think they have carte-blanche to just put stock willy-nilly into the shop whenever and wherever they feel like it.
We (the committee) have stressed over and over how important quality and stock control is but it just seems to fall on deaf ears.
All stock has to be approved by the committee before being allowed on the shelves but we are finding ourselves constantly having to remove items that have not been passed for sale. (We put them in a box in the back store room but they often end up back on the shelf)
We remove (cull) items from overcrowded shelves and re-organise displays but a few days later more stuff has appeared!

We are all volunteers and work on a roster basis to run the shop.
Most members are wonderful and do the right thing but there are a half dozen or so (out of about 18) who insist on rearranging and restocking to their own liking and with their own goods, sometimes even moving/covering up other peoples stuff with their own.

We recently did the front window Christmas displays and they looked great. Not overdone. Well now they are so cluttered from people just putting their stuff in that we are going to have to redo them so customers can actually see what is there! Totally frustrating!!!

How can we (tactfully) get it through to these thick headed people that this is the committees job and not theirs? And that by doing what they do they ruin things, not only for others but for themselves as well?
We are trying to maintain quality products but some really awful stuff keeps creeping onto the shelves.

We are at a bit of a loss as to how to deal with this ongoing problem so any constructive input would be awesome!

Cheers
Wanderer

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I'm just saying that no-one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman in the same room together
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE