Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Jewelry and Beadwork

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View kato777's Photo Album My Photos
Default Looking for guidance for bead stringing material

Hello, all,

I'm new to beading, and at this point, my enthusiasm and design skills far outreach my technique and knowledge. I've been doing a lot of research - and experimentation - to try to learn more.

So far, I haven't really found consistent recommendations for what type of stringing material to use in which situations, and why. The projects I find online specify what to use for that particular project. But then I'll find a similar project that uses a different material!

Can anyone give me some recommendations? I appreciate your time and help.

Thank you so much,

kato

kato777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 04-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Craft Addict

View Angela's Photo Album My Photos

I don't know that there are any set rules. That is most likely why you are finding so many different materials to use. I've made bracelets with stretch elastic, thread and multi strand wire. Each have their good and bad points. I have made necklaces with the same stringing materials mentioned. Sometimes what you use depends on the materials you are stringing. I only use elastic when I am mostly using seed beads. A rarely use thread any more for bracelets because I, personally, don't relly like it. I am just learning to use crimps, which are required for the more professional, sturdy, wire strung bracelets.

You don't mention what it is that you are making with beads. And you probably don't want to hear this, but experimentation is your best bet. All you really have to lose is the stringing material because, unless you have a bead explosion, the beads are totally reusable if the method you chose doesn't suit in the end.

My daily project was completed on January 25, 2012, but you can still visit my blog The Daily Turtle if you would like to see my adventures making or photographing a turtle every day for a year.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angela For This Useful Post:
pinokeeo (04-07-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Crafting Student

View melsbells's Photo Album My Photos

Yeah, trial and error are your friends. I will tell you that I use 7-strand stainless wire for 80% of the necklaces and bracelets I make, and the rest are either natural fibers like hemp and cord, or the beads are linked together with wire and chain. The 7-strand is my go-to, because I like the heft of it and how it's flexible without being floppy.

HOWEVER, you want to try different things. Case in point: Two years ago I made about a dozen red-white-and-blue necklaces with stars on them for 4th of July. Then I ran out of crimp ends, but I had some extra beads. So I made the same design of necklace, but I strung it on beading thread, which is much more flexible. Guess what? All of the ones on wire sold, but not a single one of the necklaces strung with thread did. The lighter material just looked floppy and cheap, whereas the wire had some heft to it.

Other designs will work better with the more flexible material, so you'll want to go with that. Again, you won't always know until you try it a different way - and possibly find out that it's a VERY BAD idea.

Just keep in mind that any experiment you try will yield useful results - either "This is a great idea and I should do it again" or "This is an awful idea and I should remember NOT to repeat it." Either lesson is valuable.

So let the trial and error begin!
melsbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Crafting Student

View teresawebster's Photo Album My Photos

Try going to fusionbeads.com, they have several beading tutorials. They even have projects that you can print out. I have learned a lot from their site.
teresawebster is offline   Reply With Quote