Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Craft Forums > Project Showcase

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 02:09 AM   #1
Craft Intern

View Kymy's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to Kymy Send a message via Yahoo to Kymy
Default Baby Stuff! Swaddling Blankets, Cloth Wipes & Pack 'N Play Sheet!

Wow I managed to find some hidden motivation tonight!!!

I made up a large order of cloth wipes and managed to cut to many so then made some as an extra treat for a swap buddy. I then decided to use up some scraps to make Parker some cute little monkey ones with the organic bamboo velour scraps. So I made up 40 double layered wipes total. Thatís 80 8″X8″ cuts & I get 20 out of a yard of flannel. So thatís 4 yards! I cut squares with my rotary cutter & then free handed the corners right on the serger, not to bad for the first time doing it!

THEN I made a super soft flannel Pack ĎN Play sheet for my swap partner to. Of course the snuggle flannel I bought from JoAnnís managed to shrink more then usual so I had to cut it weird & used the whole 1.5 yards with a bunch of tiny scraps instead of the normal 1 yard I get with almost no scrap.

I thought I was done, then when getting ready to turn off the lights in my sewing room I found the muslin I had been looking for! SO I made 6 extra large (44″X44″) muslin swaddle blankets. I managed to sew up 13 yards of fabric tonight!!!

Aden + Anais has made these muslin swaddling blankets popular & I have wanted them since I saw them but I an WAY to cheap to pay $45 for 4 thin blankets. So I went & bought the cotton muslin & made someÖ they cost me about $2.33 each.

Now I have the them in the wash to soften up the fabric & make it all crinkly! You know the reason why no one likes ironing muslin, but the more you wash it the softer it gets.

I have seen a bunch made with cotton gauze too on etsy for around $18 each, but the fabric is $12+ a yard around here & my blankets are 1 1/4 yards each, so they are a lot pricier & the fabric is thinner & doesnít last as long. I canít wait to see them all dried up & soft. I again just cut squares & free handed the corners right on the serger!

Kymy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 09-09-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
Craft Addict

View downrightart's Photo Album My Photos

I needed those 28 yrs ago! When you have children close together in age, it gets expensive. Thanks for sharing Kymy!
downrightart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Craft Addict

View Angela's Photo Album My Photos

Wow. You did all of that in one night? I'm speechless...

My daily project was completed on January 25, 2012, but you can still visit my blog The Daily Turtle if you would like to see my adventures making or photographing a turtle every day for a year.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Pro Crafter

View weareborgswife's Photo Album My Photos

What quality of muslin did you use? I have three pregnant friends and would love to make some of these up.. thinking of painting on a corner or two and making a matching shirt/onsie...
weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Pro Crafter

View DoilyMania's Photo Album My Photos

Someone been busy...
DoilyMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
Craft Intern

View Kymy's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to Kymy Send a message via Yahoo to Kymy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareborgswife View Post
What quality of muslin did you use? I have three pregnant friends and would love to make some of these up.. thinking of painting on a corner or two and making a matching shirt/onsie...
I just used plain cheap, NOT permanent press, 100% cotton muslin... the best bet is the stuff that is almost wrinkly to start. Diaper gauze is what I think most of the 'muslin' swaddling blankets are made out of, but the 100% cotton muslin washes up soft & kinda crinkly & gets softer over time.

Kymy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kymy For This Useful Post:
weareborgswife (09-09-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
Pro Crafter

View weareborgswife's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I just used plain cheap, NOT permanent press, 100% cotton muslin... the best bet is the stuff that is almost wrinkly to start. Diaper gauze is what I think most of the 'muslin' swaddling blankets are made out of, but the 100% cotton muslin washes up soft & kinda crinkly & gets softer over time.
I have some of that!
weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
Creative Crafter

View tdiprincess's Photo Album My Photos

That's REALLY amazing how much you got done and I LOVE some of the patterns!! I think I may be making some of these up for my sister for her kiddos!! Lovely work! Isn't it funny how sometimes motivation strikes and we can conquer 50 projects and then the next month not even complete 1?!?!? LOL
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
Super Moderator

View gma2rjc's Photo Album My Photos

Holy smokes!! You got a LOT done! All in one day!?

It reminds me of the old Army commercials... "We get more done before breakfast than most people do all day". :tank:

When you get a chance, send some of that ambition my way.

Barb

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:07 AM   #10
Creative Crafter

View kenbo's Photo Album My Photos

For starters, I'd like to say, good for you for completing all of that stuff in such a short period of time. Everything looks great. My baby days are long gone, but I only wish that I had someone like you around to make some of this stuff for my wife and I when my young ones were babies.
Secondly, I was wondering if you would like to be my swap buddy. I don't want you to make me stuff, I want you to send me some of that ambition. I'll place my order for a 5 gallon bucket of ambition please.
In trade, I'm willing to give you every ounce of laziness that I have, and let me tell you, that's a lot!!!!
Seriously nice work!
Ken
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote