Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Sewing and Needlework > Quilting Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2014, 05:39 AM   #1
Craft Intern

View Wanderer's Photo Album My Photos
Default I need a new bedspread..........

For years I've had an idea of taking a white cotton sheet and sewing on doilies and old bits of lace to make a bedspread.
I have collected a box full of doilies and lacy stuff over time and I'm thinking of starting. But I'm also thinking of throwing in some random bits of colour as in like patchwork squares etc.

I'm sort of thinking more along the 'shabby chic' lines as I'm no perfectionist (or maybe its just I don't have the patience lol)
So a kinda 'rustic' or thrown together idea.

Any suggestions or ideas please?

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I'm just saying that no-one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman in the same room together
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 12-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
Master Crafter

View gremlin's Photo Album My Photos

Maybe some calico cotton swatches? Since you are going with "old" doilies and lace, then maybe try to find some material that matches that theme. If you want to go the "shabby" chic route, instead of cutting the patches with a smooth edge, tear it into strips, then squares (or rectangles). Cotton tears on a fairly straight line. Then let the edges fray a bit - that would maybe match the lace look.

Also, I would lay out the solid material patches first, then overlap the doilies and lace pieces. The solid material will show through the doilies and lace pieces and help tie it all together.

Oh, and once you have it all laid out how you like, take a picture. That way you have something to refer to as you glue/stitch/fasten the pieces to the backing.

gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gremlin For This Useful Post:
Wanderer (12-20-2014)