Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Sewing and Needlework > Quilting Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View Perimyndith's Photo Album My Photos
Default Whhaaat? Does nobody quilt around here?

Just checkin' since there aren't any posts in here!

I asked my mom to make me a quilt for my wedding anniversary but of course she's roped me into "helping", which sorta defeats the point of asking her to make it! I was very good and didn't pick a pattern with 10,000 tiny pieces, hee. I do enjoy quilting but I have a 2.5-month-old baby, and yesterday was the first time I'd even turned on my sewing machine in like 4 months.

I saw the loveliest pink and brown fabric set in the Joann newsletter that came in the mail this week, and now I'm fighting the mad urge to go buy some and make another quilt for myself... but I'm resisting.

Perimyndith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 01-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #2

View reich01's Photo Album My Photos

You have more willpower than I do. My 3 girls (8, 10 & 13) each have several quilts now. Someday I'll have to figure out what to do with them. Whenever they have a new favorite color, it is our chance to make another new quilt.

I'm hoping we are not the only quilters here!
reich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Newbie Crafter

View Phiasmom0's Photo Album My Photos

I like do ing T-shirt quilts since my husband wardrobe consits mainly of band t-shirts and that is the only way I can lay one to rest. I am also taking outfits that are special from my DD or parts of them and will be making a quilt for her out of them. It will be like a baby book she can use. Since we are military I have made her one and will be doing another "I- spy" quilt. I used pictures of the family so that she would know who they are even though we don't get to be around them tat often.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
Newbie Crafter

View Perimyndith's Photo Album My Photos

I wouldn't have as much willpower if I didn't have so many projects already waiting for me. Alas! DD's birthday is next week and I haven't yet finished the flannel PJs I started like in Sept... I have her little brother to blame but still. At least I can quit the maternity skirt project now.

I made DD a flannel quilt for her bed last year.... from start to finish it dragged on for about a year (in part because I couldn't find any green that was *just right*).

Phiasmom -- Hah, good plan with the tshirts. Most of my DH's just have to fall apart at the seams before he'll let me toss 'em.
Perimyndith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Craft Intern

View bear7328's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiasmom0 View Post
I like do ing T-shirt quilts since my husband wardrobe consits mainly of band t-shirts and that is the only way I can lay one to rest. I am also taking outfits that are special from my DD or parts of them and will be making a quilt for her out of them. It will be like a baby book she can use. Since we are military I have made her one and will be doing another "I- spy" quilt. I used pictures of the family so that she would know who they are even though we don't get to be around them tat often.
I do t-shirt quilts too! It is also the only way I can get DH to stop wearing his shirts. I've made them as graduation presents for quite a few people now. I just finished (well nearly finished, I still need to handstitch the binding) a photo quilt that has pictures of my daughter and husband that I made them for father's day. I am halfway through handquilting a sunflower quilt that I made for myself. I finished the top of a sheep quilt for my daughter, it's twin size, so I have quite a while to finish it before we'll have any need.
Check out my shop at BusyBugBoutique.etsy.com

Last edited by bear7328; 01-15-2010 at 01:42 PM.
bear7328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
Craft Intern

View heatherdoodle's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to heatherdoodle Send a message via Yahoo to heatherdoodle

I have dabbled in quilting al ittle bit but I do more pillows as gifts than blankets as blankets are to time consuming for me and now that I have a new baby at home I have not turned my machine on in what seems like forever, with that said I need to get on the ball as I want to make my nother in law a quilt for Christmas with the help of all my girls and I know me it will take me 11 months to finish it.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:52 AM   #7
Newbie Crafter

View sondray's Photo Album My Photos

I'm a beginner quilter. I've only made rag quilts for my King sized bed. They are so easy and quick.
sondray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:00 AM   #8
Creative Crafter

View UndrThTblNDrumng's Photo Album My Photos

a king sized rag quilt sounds awesome! do you have any pictures?
UndrThTblNDrumng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #9
Creative Crafter

View Jrits's Photo Album My Photos

I have a quilt I made years ago. I sent all close friend & family members a square to decorate. After they all sent them back, I sewed them together. It's a beautiful blanket & memory from that time. Wish I could do it yearly!
Jrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
Newbie Crafter

View CarrieP's Photo Album My Photos

My friend just referred me to this site. Quilting was my passion, but it has sort of fell by the wayside this year. I only made one baby quilt in 2009. I need to make two baby quilts in 2010, one for my baby that's due in April and one for my cousin who is just waiting for her daughter's adoption to finalize.

I have done several types of quilts in the past. I really love paper piecing, though it is really time consuming. I also have about 70 blocks done on a Dear Jane quilt. I am not a fan of repros, so am doing it in jewel tones on a black background. I just need to get back at it!

I mainly like to do wall hangings and baby quilts since it is so hard to quilt a full size quilt on my regular machine. I would love to take up long arm quilting, but I don't have the money for that just yet.

I have two full size quilt tops that I've needed to quilt for at least two years. I keep saying I'm going to get with it while my son is at preschool, but started in September and the most work I've done is taking one of them off the hanger and laying it on the bed to admire it.

I'm hoping joining this forum will motivate me to get back into quilting.
CarrieP is offline   Reply With Quote