Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Sewing and Needlework > Quilting Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View CarrieP's Photo Album My Photos
Default Working with Minky?

Has anyone worked with Minky fabric? My friend is getting me some specifically for a baby quilt backing. I know it is really soft and fluffy. I have no idea how to work with it. Do I skip the batting and just use the top and the minky? Can I quilt it with my regular walking foot? Should I prewash it (I'm not a prewasher)? Any other tips, tricks, hints, warnings?

I'm mainly a quilter, but can do basic bags, curtains, and so forth.

My quilty photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rambleq...7594272191748/

My Dear Jane blocks:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rambleq...7600055906598/
CarrieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Creative Crafter

View UndrThTblNDrumng's Photo Album My Photos

Do you have a picture of the minky, is it a really fluffy one or something a little more velor like?

most minky is 100% poly so you won't need to prewash (but I always prewashs everything because I"m just that kinda person). Though because it won't shrink with the rest of the quilt, I would suggest prewashing the other fabrics.

It's also really streatchy so if you're planning on quilting it, make sure you baste really really well... or better yet, use a basting spray.

As far as to use batting or not, it's a matter of how thick you want the quilt. if you want it heavier then add batting. The minky with cotton top will give you a nice medium (kinda on the lighter side) weight baby quilt.

Your walking foot should be just fine. i've only used minky with the minky side on top. I'm not quite sure how it will go through your machine with the minky side down.

I hope some of this helped
UndrThTblNDrumng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Newbie Crafter

View CarrieP's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for the tips! I haven't actually seen the fabric yet. My friend ordered it for me and it is still on backorder. I have the top finished and was just thinking about if I should order some batting or not. I only use fusible batting. I hate pinning. It will be a spring baby, so I don't need a really thick quilt. Maybe I should wait until I actually see the minky before I make any decisions.
I'm mainly a quilter, but can do basic bags, curtains, and so forth.

My quilty photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rambleq...7594272191748/

My Dear Jane blocks:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rambleq...7600055906598/
CarrieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Newbie Crafter

View stacy_smile's Photo Album My Photos

I made my DD's baby quilt with flannel and minky-dot on the top and then the same minky-dot for the backing. I didn't use any batting because I wanted a super snugly wrap around you kind of quilt. I love her quilt much more than the one I made for her sister with flannel and batting - it's just softer and drapes better over her. I just pinned a bunch and quilted in the ditch on mine and it goes through the machine just fine, but you definitely need to secure it in some way or else it goes everywhere! Good luck and I LOVE minky on a baby quilt!
stacy_smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
Crafting Student

View stitchesbyshilo's Photo Album My Photos

I've used flannel for the top and dot minky for the the back of a couple blankets and I just make sure I pin it ALOT. I probably go overboard but I pin every 1.5" or so and I don't have any problem with it moving around on me. I don't use any batting. I like the feel of the blanket just the way it is but it's really a matter of preference.
stitchesbyshilo is offline   Reply With Quote