Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Sewing and Needlework > Knitting Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View Angel894's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel894
Default Bamboo?

I see so many people who love bamboo needles. I had a pair of circulars one time and they drove me nuts. The yarn stuck so bad! I just use metal. Did I do something wrong? I don't get it?

Angel894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Newbie Crafter

View harmonise's Photo Album My Photos
Default Bamboo Needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel894 View Post
I see so many people who love bamboo needles. I had a pair of circulars one time and they drove me nuts. The yarn stuck so bad! I just use metal. Did I do something wrong? I don't get it?
I used to feel the same way. I love to make socks and I have very tight tension. Tiny bamboo needles with tiny stitches and patterns was awful! I needed the strength of metal needles and once I found the KnitPicks ones I thought I would never use anything else. But I think it really is a personal choice or what type of yarn you're using. I'm making a tank in a sport weight cotton and the nickel plated Options tips are almost TOO slippery, I wish I had the Harmony (wood) tips in size 4! I have also recently found a set of bamboo double points that I just love and use for swatching and making hats and other small in-the-round items. They're the 8-inch set from Stitchberry on Amazon. $19.99 and free shipping, I couldn't pass them up and they are nice. not as 'sticky' as the size 2 Clover ones. the points aren't quite as sharp as i like but they are VERY smooth and a great length. they're now my go-to needles whenever i need to try out a stitch pattern or make a small something even in straight, flat knitting. I'm thinking of getting a set of they're 29" circulars. (this has not been a paid endorsement, just a happy customer!)
Old 05-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
Newbie Crafter

View Angel894's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel894

Clover was what I tried. I knit tight, too and I ended up just tossing the circulars with the yarn on it away. Hmm. If I ever have a slippery problem, I'll have to try that brand.
Angel894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Newbie Crafter

View KimmieBee's Photo Album My Photos

I use bamboo needles all the time and have for a very long time. The trick with bamboo needles is that even though they may stick a little when you first get them, the more you use them the slippery they will get. Because they are wooden, they will absorb the oils from your skin and even the oils from natural fibre yarns you might use.
KimmieBee is offline   Reply With Quote