Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Sewing and Needlework > Knitting Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View PerfectlyFlawed's Photo Album My Photos
Default Is there a way to estimate when a ball of yarn is half the skein?

I just bought some yarn I'm going to use to make a baby blanket. I want to use 2 strands of the same color and work with it as one strand. Sooo I need to wind a separate ball from each skein...what I'm trying to figure out is if there's a way to tell (or estimate) when my yarn ball is about half the skein. Am I making sense?

PerfectlyFlawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 06-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Newbie Crafter

View Jinkxy's Photo Album My Photos

Don't worry. I understand. I'm not sure if I can help you, but there are ways to determine how much yarn is left in a skein.

First things first you have to find the ball band. If you can't find the ball band, you can look up the yarn's information on Ravelry.com (You have to make a free account - it doesn't take long). Find the yardage and the weight (in grams) of the original skein.

Find yourself a calculator and divide the yardage by the weight in grams. What this does is tells you how many yards per gram there are in a skein. For example, if your skein was originally 100 grams and 200 yards, each yard of yarn would weigh 2 grams.

Thirdly, you need to weigh the yarn. If you have a kitchen scale you can just set it to weigh for grams, and if it doesn't have grams you can just convert it from ounces.

Fourthly, multiply the number of grams your yarn weighs by the number of grams per yard you originally calculated. That will tell you how many yards are left. Unfortunately you'll need a scale. I hope I was able to help you. Good luck.

Jinkxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Master Crafter

View gremlin's Photo Album My Photos

If you don't want to buy two skeins of yarn, then the best way is to weigh the yarn. Weigh the whole skein (minus the wrapper) then divide by 2. Start winding your ball. Weigh it occasionally, and when it reaches half the weight of the original skein, you should be halfway through the skein.

When I want to make a blanket using two strands, I just buy two skeins of yarn. Depending on the size of the project you are making, you may end up needing two skeins anyway, and if you start out with two, you won't have to worry about joining yarns halfway through your project.

gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote