Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Craft Forums > General Craft Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View amykat321's Photo Album My Photos
Default Attaching fabric and batting to foam board?

I am making a top for a card box. It has batting and fabric on top of foam board. We were using a staple gun (I know, tacky), but it worked well. As we are making more of these, I really hate the look of the staples. Also, the staples do not work well with certain fabrics (cause runs, etc). Does anyone have any other ideas about how I could attach the fabric and batting? The problem is that there is a slit in the middle because of the slot for cards. Any ideas are appreciated!! Pix are below. Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching fabric and batting to foam board?-pic1.jpg   Attaching fabric and batting to foam board?-back.jpg  

amykat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 04-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Craft Addict

View Angela's Photo Album My Photos

Have you tried a hot glue gun? Because it will just be used to put cards in, and not opened and closed over and over, I think hot glue should hold up just fine. Do you have lots of time to test different ideas?

You can also glue a piece of fabric (carefully cut to match the underside of your lid) over your raw edges to cover up the staples, or just the messy fabric to make the under side look neater. If you think anyone will see it, that is! It will be fussy because of the card slot, but it would definitely polish the look of the project.

I'm also blogging about my crafting. I'd love to see you there. Please visit Crafty Distractions and say hello.

My daily project was completed on January 25, 2012, but you can still visit my blog The Daily Turtle if you would like to see my adventures making or photographing a turtle every day for a year.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Super Moderator

View gma2rjc's Photo Album My Photos

I like Angela's idea. The hot glue would be easy to work with and covering the edges would give it a nice finished look.

How many of them do you have to make amykat?

Barb

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Creative Crafter

View mamarose22's Photo Album My Photos

Hot glue dries up over time. You could use thick tacky glue and use spring clips to hold it in place while it dries. Or you could use E6000- which will set much faster or even fabric glue. Just pull your fabric taught while gluing. Also I would suggest using a very thin batting. A thick batting causes it to wrinkle in the corners of the slot. If you want it to look even nicer. You could cover the inside of the lid (after the top is glued in place) with felt or matching fabric.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Newbie Crafter

View beckya's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykat321 View Post
I am making a top for a card box. It has batting and fabric on top of foam board. We were using a staple gun (I know, tacky), but it worked well. As we are making more of these, I really hate the look of the staples. Also, the staples do not work well with certain fabrics (cause runs, etc). Does anyone have any other ideas about how I could attach the fabric and batting? The problem is that there is a slit in the middle because of the slot for cards. Any ideas are appreciated!! Pix are below. Thanks!!
use hot glue for the batting. It sets quickly (wait for one side to cool down, then do the opposite, etc.) then for the cover fabric you can either still use hot glue or quick setting craft glue. This will give it a smoother look.
beckya is offline   Reply With Quote