Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Craft Forums > General Craft Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View SarahAnne's Photo Album My Photos
Default Baby name on wood plaque - how to?

Hi everyone!
I'm new here... I've been trying to figure out stuff on my own, and then I realized there were probably forums with lots of crafty people who could help answer my questions!

I'm starting up a little business out of my home (I'm a stay-at-home-mom) making keepsake wreaths for new parents. I'm currently using grapevine wreaths with silk flowers, ribbon and chipboard embellishments.

I'd like to personalize the wreaths with the baby's name. Because I have to wait until my kids are in bed to work on my projects, my time is limited (I'm also making blankets, so I've got a bit going on).

My *hopefully* quick solution is to use an unfinished wooden plaque in the appropriate size, buy alphabet stencils (reusable means spending less money!) and a product I've read about online called metallic rub ons (possibly by Craf-T?). I believe scrapbookers use it, but everything I've read says it can be used on wood, too.

I would paint the plaque first with Craftsman acrylic paint and my hope is that the metallic rub ons would give a nice antiqued look to the plaque while allowing me to quickly apply the baby's name. I would then use a finishing spray to seal it and hang with a ribbon so it hangs in the centre of the wreath.

Does anyone out there have any experience with metallic rub ons used on wood or any better, quick and cost effective way to make a baby name plaque? My freehand is awful, by the way.

Thanks!

SarahAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 04-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Pro Crafter

View gremlin's Photo Album My Photos

I'm not familiar with the rub-on. You could use the stencils (or alphabet stamps) and acrylic paint. Then finish with the clear spray. The acrylic paint comes in metallic colors as well as "antique" colors.

gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
Newbie Crafter

Thanks for the reply, Gremlin. After 3 days of googling, I found a solution to my stencil dilemma - pick a font from our windows program, print the name out in the size I need, rub the back of the paper with chalk making sure to cover the area where the letters are, turn paper back over (right side up) and lay down on surface to be painted, trace outline of letters with ballpoint pen. It works! I still have to stay within the lines with my shaky hand, but a Sharpie paint pen works wonders afterward to cover my errors and makes a nice outline in metallic gold.

My only problem now is that my almost finished plaque looks too small when placed in the centre of my wreath. I'll have to buy the next size up, I guess. I found that canvas is a better solution to my initial idea of using wood. I found the metallic rub ons on ebay... they should be here soon!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
Pro Crafter

I've done that (transferring the letters from paper to a project). Usually when I'm trying to be sneaky and disguise my writing on something. I'll print out what I want to write, use a pencil to "carbon-ize" the back of the paper, and then use a ball point pen to transfer the writing onto whatever I want to write on (usually a card and envelope). Then go over it with a pen. You might be able to use this same method with the metallic rub-ons - instead of chalking the back of the printed page, just put the rub on sheet between it and your project.

Oh, and don't forget pictures!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
Newbie Crafter

http://www.facebook.com/ShuggleBunny

It has been a long time since I posted, and I know I owe some photos... just can't figure out how to post them... But if you have a facebook account, you can look up my site and pics of my wreaths (with hand-painted plaques) and hand-painted nursery decor on there. Thanks for your help, Gremlin!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Newbie Crafter

I figured out how to make my album.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
Pro Crafter

Those turned out pretty good. I'm glad I could be of help.