Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Craft Forums > General Craft Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View PegM_4's Photo Album My Photos
Default decoupage lettering on wall

My granddaughter wants an entire wall done with a song's lyrics. We are trying to figure out how to do this and are thinking decoupage might be our best bet. We are thinking using a laser printer on thin tissue paper. Does this sound like a good idea or does someone know a better approach?

Also, we would like a matte finish. Is this possible? We have not done any decoupage before, so need to know everything.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

PegM

PegM_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 07-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Newbie Crafter

View Martin's Photo Album My Photos

why don't you paint it over the wall?
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Creative Crafter

View Trud's Photo Album My Photos

A friend of mine cut designs out of fabric and used watered down Elmer's glue to attach them to the wall in her son's room. She said they stuck well and were easy to remove when he got older. Paper may be a different story. I wonder if you used wallpaper paste it would work the same as something like Modge Podge but would be easier to remove later? I'm not sure.
Trud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Master Crafter

View gremlin's Photo Album My Photos

If you are going to print them, you could use label paper. I get mine at Office Max. You can print on the paper, then peel and stick to the wall. It should hold up for a while, and still be fairly easy to remove later.

If you want a more permanent solution, then you could decoupage onto the wall. I would use plain typing paper rather than tissue paper. The tissue paper is thin enough that it would be difficult to handle and would most likely wrinkle badly. Typing paper would stay flatter. You could use mod podge or watered down white school glue. Once it was glued to the wall, you could spray it with a clear acrylic sealer/spray that has a matte finish.

Or, once you have it printed, you can transfer it to the wall and paint it. Print it on regular paper, place it on the wall where you want it, and trace it onto the wall. Then you can fill in with paint.
To trace it on the wall, you can use carbon paper behind the regular paper and trace the outline with a pen or pencil. The pressure of tracing the line will make an imprint on the wall with the carbon paper. If you don't have carbon paper, you can use colored chalk. Coat the back of the paper with colored chalk (or use a pencil to darken the whole back). Then when you put it up against the wall and trace, it will transfer the chalk to the wall where you press on the outlines. When you take the original down, you can use a pencil to go over the chalk outlines so you can see where to paint.

gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote