Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Craft Forums > General Craft Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View Fognar's Photo Album My Photos
Default Decoupaging my Catan Board.

I am going to start of this thread by introducing my project. I am attempting to make a custom stone tile board for Settlers of Catan. If you've never played Catan before here is a wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Settlers_of_Catan If you have played catan before you no doubt can understand my main motive for embarking on this endevor, the flimsy cardboard board that the game ships withs tendency to warp and cauese problems. As you can see in the second attached picture I have already cut all the different interlocking pieces for the board but I have one final challenge to overcome before my project is complete. I need to decorate each individual piece so that it represents all the important characteristics of the official board, including the ports on the border. The first attached picture is what the official board looks like. At first I thought I would have someone more talented than I paint something that looked like that onto my board but then my Grandfather introduced me to decoupage. After doing some research on the interwebs and finding all the pictures I need decoupage is what I am rolling with.

This is where I want to call on the experience of some of the crafters on this forum on what the best glue for my project will be. I want to finished project to be strong, scratch resistant, water resistant, and preferably heat/cold resistant as well. Any and all advice is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Decoupaging my Catan Board.-20140728_171806-1-.jpg  

Fognar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
Master Crafter

View gremlin's Photo Album My Photos

I would suggest regular Mod Podge - it is great for most decoupage projects. Just seal it with a clear acrylic sealer when you are done.

I used it to "glue" together several layers of tagboard, then paper printed to look like a jewel for the final side. They went with some gold "coins" I made for a treasure box I did. They turned out quite nicely and have held up fairly well. I used Krylon Clear Acrylic Spray to seal them.

gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote