Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Craft Forums > General Craft Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #1

View eightiesbabeyo's Photo Album My Photos
Default How do I glue a postcard to a piece of ceramic tile??

Here is what I need to be able to do: I need to take a postcard (or something similar...thick piece of paper with a picture printed on it either that I'm buying from a store already made or that I'm printing myself from my printer at home (whichever will work), matte or glossy paper) and glue it flat to the glossy side of a ceramic tile (like just a square one you'd buy at Lowe's) and then put some kind of a sealer over the top of the picture so that the colors will not run if it gets wet. Is this possible?

I recently got a little crafty item at a fair, and it looks like the person took a postcard or maybe printed off a picture on photo paper and glued it to the tile. I'm not sure what they glued it to the tile with because it's very flat to the tile, no bubbling whatsoever, it's on there very well. The problem I've had when doing it myself is that even using a thick paper, it bubbled and I just used a bit of hot glue on the sides.

The item that I got at the craft fair does have one major problem that I would want to remedy if I can duplicate the design. The picture on the paper is starting to come off. I'm not sure what kind of paper it's on, but it's like a rubbery paint is coming off of the paper and that's the picture. Also, when I picked it up and my finger was a little damp with water, it totally smeared the picture! I would definitely want to find a way to seal the picture so that it is waterproof and does not happen. With my first attempt at making this, I tried using a decoupage glue and painting it over the top of the picture, but that ended up smearing the picture I used, so that will obviously not work. Plus it added to the bubbling of the picture which was obviously more wet then.

Also, if gluing the bottom of a piece of tile (which isn't completely flat) to some cardboard (like matchboxes), what would be the best glue to use so that it doesn't come apart? I want to be sure if I'm picking this up by the top piece of tile that the weight of the second piece of tile which is also glued to the cardboard boxes won't be too heavy for the glue to hold. I used hot glue, and I used a decent amount of it, but I don't think it's as indestructible as I want it to be right now...did I just not use enough hot glue or is there something better I could use?

Any ideas or solutions???

__________________________________________________ _______________________

*UPDATE*

I made a few match holders today and used the micro glaze on the picture, and then as was suggested by a few people, I put decoupage glue over that. It LOOKS nice, but I'm not sure if I should have waited longer after I put the micro glaze on to put the Mod Podge on or if I just didn't let the Mod Podge dry long enough? I waited probably 3 hours to put the Mod Podge on, and it still felt waxy but I thought maybe that was just how it was and that maybe it never really "dried". Please tell me if it does though! So I put the decoupage glue on, and that dried for probably 2 hours, and then I stacked a couple because I was taking them somewhere, and the ones that were underneath other ones got a little messed up. Like the Mod Podge got pushed and pulled and was lumpy in some spots. But I was able to smooth it out with my fingers. I even could pull the Mod Podge right off in strips because it seemed like it never really "attached" to the micro glaze (maybe because it's wax?). So please someone let me know if I need to be doing something differently!

Here's a pic of some of the ones I made today though, they look nice at least!

Last edited by eightiesbabeyo; 10-24-2009 at 05:44 PM.
eightiesbabeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Craft Addict

View Angela's Photo Album My Photos

I think that using something already printed (as opposed to printing at home) would solve the smearing problem. My husband uses spray glue to adhere paper to wood and it never bubbles. I don't know how well it would stick to a tile though. It isn't in the house, or I would read the can for you....
I'm positive that others in here will have better answers for you.
I am having trouble visualizing what you are trying to do. Do you have a picture of your inspiration that you could post? What do you plan to use this for? A wall hanging? a trivet? Something else entirely?
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela View Post
I think that using something already printed (as opposed to printing at home) would solve the smearing problem. My husband uses spray glue to adhere paper to wood and it never bubbles. I don't know how well it would stick to a tile though. It isn't in the house, or I would read the can for you....
I'm positive that others in here will have better answers for you.
I am having trouble visualizing what you are trying to do. Do you have a picture of your inspiration that you could post? What do you plan to use this for? A wall hanging? a trivet? Something else entirely?
I added some pics to my original post so you can see what I'm talking about. This is what I got at the craft show and am attempting to make (except to not have the picture colors run).

When I did attempt to make my own, I used something already printed. Though I'm not sure of the printing process of it. And when I used the decoupage glue on it, the colors on that ran also.

I did think about using spray glue since I've used that to glue paper to paper before and it works well. But I haven't tried it on ceramic tile so I don't know how well it would stay.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Pro Crafter

View DangerMouse's Photo Album My Photos

weldwood contact cement to mount it, mix and pour clear epoxy to finish it.
waterproof and well glued.....
lots of other methods too if that doesn't work for whatever reason.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
Craft Addict

What is "mix and pour" epoxy? It sounds runny. Wouldn't it drip all down the sides of the tile and look messy? I hope not, because it also sounds like it would seal the picture in really well! (I'm not trying to cause problems, I am just wondering because I don't know anything about that product)
Old 10-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #6

Someone else just suggested something called micro glaze. I think I will try that first, and if that doesn't work, I'll try the epoxy. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
Super Moderator

View gma2rjc's Photo Album My Photos

Do you know anyone who scrapbooks? If so, ask them if they have a Xyron machine. If they have a roll of permanent adhesive, it will hold your picture on the tile very nicely.

Better yet, if you have a Hobby Lobby, Michael's or any other craft store, ask them if they sell a product called 'Terrifically Tacky Tape' in an 8.5 x 11" sheet. The same product is also sold under the name 'Sticky Sheets'. It's a full-sized sheet of STRONG double sided adhesive. Once you stick your picture to the tile with it, it's not coming back off.

The thing about using cardboard to print your picture on is that sometimes the layers of cardboard will seperate. You might be better off using a sheet of heavy cardstock.

If you want to avoid the cardboard and adhesive altogether, there is a pigment ink you can buy that works well on ceramic tiles. I think the brand name is 'Staz-On'. You stamp your images on the tile with the color/s of ink you like and bake the tile in the oven on low for 15 minutes. The heat sets the ink and you would never have to worry about it running.

Barb

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Craft Intern

View Charmedp3's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
Do you know anyone who scrapbooks? If so, ask them if they have a Xyron machine. If they have a roll of permanent adhesive, it will hold your picture on the tile very nicely.

Better yet, if you have a Hobby Lobby, Michael's or any other craft store, ask them if they sell a product called 'Terrifically Tacky Tape' in an 8.5 x 11" sheet. The same product is also sold under the name 'Sticky Sheets'. It's a full-sized sheet of STRONG double sided adhesive. Once you stick your picture to the tile with it, it's not coming back off.

The thing about using cardboard to print your picture on is that sometimes the layers of cardboard will seperate. You might be better off using a sheet of heavy cardstock.

If you want to avoid the cardboard and adhesive altogether, there is a pigment ink you can buy that works well on ceramic tiles. I think the brand name is 'Staz-On'. You stamp your images on the tile with the color/s of ink you like and bake the tile in the oven on low for 15 minutes. The heat sets the ink and you would never have to worry about it running.

Barb
WOOHOO i love the terrifically tacky tape!!!!! thats what is under the cardinal!!!!
Charmedp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the responses and ideas!

I ended up using WeldBond to glue the matchboxes and tiles together, and I used 3M 77 to glue the picture to the tile. It seems like it worked very well. I will be trying the Micro Glaze to seal the picture and a coat of my Mod Podge over that. Hopefully that will work, but if not I'll try one of the other ideas.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
Craft Addict

Be sure to tell us how it worked!