Craft Forum

Craft Forum (
-   General Craft Discussion (
-   -   Need help identifying ink/paint (

patriotbarrow 01-15-2015 08:23 AM

Need help identifying ink/paint
2 Attachment(s)
Hello, fine people of the forums,

I come bearing question. I bought a few nifty little things at last years' Christmas fair and one handmade broche-type thing got me intrigued because I wasn't able to figure out what they used to paint the thing with.

I am not an experienced craftsman but it has given me a few design ideas and am eager to learn so I can make my own.

Any and all help would be very appreciated. Thank you :)

Also sorry if I posted in the wrong forum. :mellow:

gremlin 01-15-2015 11:50 AM

It almost looks like a ceramic glaze rather than a paint. The kind that needs to be fired in a kiln. Is the owl's body made of wood or a clay or plaster?

patriotbarrow 01-19-2015 06:26 AM


Originally Posted by gremlin (Post 73645)
It almost looks like a ceramic glaze rather than a paint. The kind that needs to be fired in a kiln. Is the owl's body made of wood or a clay or plaster?

Definitely wood, and the substance is soft enough that I am able to stick my nail into it.

gremlin 01-19-2015 10:29 PM

Hmmm. I can get a similar look with craft paint. The shiny "enamel" acrylic paints. Blob them on so they are built up like that and let it dry. It would take several days to dry, and would be soft enough to push your fingernail into. Instead of using a paintbrush, use a toothpick (or even an eyedropper or syringe type tool) to blob the paint on.

patriotbarrow 01-20-2015 05:50 AM

Alrighty, I'll give it a shot and see what results I can get. Thank you very much for your help. :)

gremlin 01-20-2015 03:03 PM

Don't forget to post pictures - even if it doesn't turn out just right!

patriotbarrow 01-23-2015 10:41 AM

Will do!
Currently I'm having a bit of trouble tracking down the right type of enamel paints. Are they supposed to be dedicated towards crafting or would your basic fence-painting substance work just as well?

gremlin 01-23-2015 02:22 PM

As long as it is an "enamel". I don't think the fence-painting type would work as it is designed to flatten itself. The enamel type paints are designed so they can be built up so you get the "puffy" effect. I've seen them at WalMart, and I'm sure you could find them at a craft store like Michael's or JoAnn's.

Angela 01-23-2015 07:07 PM

I was roaming Michaels today and noticed enamel paint. In the same area as the little bottles like Folk Art. I imagine that all Micheals stores would have the same products for the most part. (I mean, I doubt my Canadian store would be much different than Gremlin's American one)
Good luck!!!

gma2rjc 01-24-2015 12:32 AM

Gremlin, do you think it could be embossing powder? I'm not sure if it's used on wood, but it does end up shiny like that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
Copyright 1999-2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.