Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Sewing and Needlework > Sewing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
Pro Crafter

View weareborgswife's Photo Album My Photos
Default Anyone have the book

One Yard Wonders? I have been reading a lot of craft books lately and it seems like they just keep taking the same ideas and doing them in a different fabric or slightly different way... for instance I have seen directions for sliverware rolls, travel tolietry rolls, pencil rolls, crayon rolls, and they are all pretty much the same thing- pockets on a piece of fabric with strings ...

So can anyone tell me what kinds of projects are in this book? It looks like fun, but wondering if it's worth owning, or should I just wait until it hits my library .

weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 01-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
Craft Intern

View Kymy's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to Kymy Send a message via Yahoo to Kymy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareborgswife View Post
One Yard Wonders? I have been reading a lot of craft books lately and it seems like they just keep taking the same ideas and doing them in a different fabric or slightly different way... for instance I have seen directions for sliverware rolls, travel tolietry rolls, pencil rolls, crayon rolls, and they are all pretty much the same thing- pockets on a piece of fabric with strings ...

So can anyone tell me what kinds of projects are in this book? It looks like fun, but wondering if it's worth owning, or should I just wait until it hits my library .

It has a lot of neat & different stuff. I think the nice appeal of this book is that everything uses 1 yard or less of fabric... yes there are lots of cute aprons & bags our there, but how many actually use less then 1 yard?

Border's is now carrying it if you want to look at it in person. There is a little bit of everything in there!

WARNING: The only beef I have with this book is that they had the pattern writers submit their pattern & completed product... the compilers/ writers didn't test everything, so a few patterns have some big boo-boos. But in general I like it so far. I only paid $13 for it though when I pre-ordered it through Amazon.

Kymy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Pro Crafter

View weareborgswife's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks Kymy! I will have $15 in Borders Bucks in February so waiting for a coupon and I will check it out!
weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Newbie Crafter

View Chey's Photo Album My Photos

I'm pretty sure I have it somewhere. I have such a huge library that I can't remember for sure. I've definitely looked through it. it is a great book for using up scraps and stash busting.
This Year I'm Blogging. Friends, Life, Family, Crafts Supermom's Life
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Newbie Crafter

View SewnForU's Photo Album My Photos

Just looked at the book in the book store. Looks great, I just love to browse for ideas.
SewnForU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
Newbie Crafter

View benjibums's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymy View Post
WARNING: The only beef I have with this book is that they had the pattern writers submit their pattern & completed product... the compilers/ writers didn't test everything, so a few patterns have some big boo-boos. But in general I like it so far. I only paid $13 for it though when I pre-ordered it through Amazon.
Do you know if there is anywhere that gives updates for the mistakes?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:02 AM   #7
Craft Intern

View Kymy's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to Kymy Send a message via Yahoo to Kymy

Something else I forgot to mention... it is target for 'all levels' of sewing... including beginners. But the instructions leave out a lot of little things that a beginner & even intermediate seamstress may not know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjibums View Post
Do you know if there is anywhere that gives updates for the mistakes?
NOPE! That is actually why I have a chip on my shoulder about it. I emailed them twice without response... so I posted a nice comment/question about it on their facebook page. They promptly replied to my first email with a 'way to make it work' based on that email, but after finishing it I realized what the actual issue was & let them know when I replied to their email. That's when I realized they didn't make the samples for the picture in the book & they obviously didn't test all the patterns. I asked someone who contributed a pattern & thats how I found out that the pattern makers submitted the samples.

Anyways they have simply deleted any comments about issues in regards to errors in the patterns from their facebook while they reply to others. You can email them though. I know it's not HORRIBLE, but a few of them do have issues. The one that is bad that I found is the cute Flouncy Bag. If anyone wants the corrections for that let me know. There is also a correction for Ballet Neck Top on an amazon 1 star review... http://www.amazon.com/One-Yard-Wonde...rBy=addOneStar

Kymy is offline   Reply With Quote