Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Sewing and Needlework > Sewing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View happysmileylady's Photo Album My Photos
Default Can anyone help with a Brother SE 270D

I just bought a used Brother SE 270D. I have wanted this machine for a while specifically for the Disney embroidery.

I bought it used and haven't been able to get it working since it arrived. There have been a few different issues, but the one I haven't been able to resolve is the needle position. It's too far to the left. It hits the needle plate. If I choose a center stitch or change the stitch width, it will move it to the right, but then if I try to embroider anything, it goes right back to the left and hits the needle plate again.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I have checked the Brother website, I have googled and been through the manual too.

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Craft Intern

View starr5678's Photo Album My Photos

I have the SE350, which is a similar machine. My first thought is that you might want to double-check the presser foot and make sure the stitch you want to use is compatible with the presser foot you have on the machine. On mine, there are only some stitches that work with each presser foot. When I select the stitch I want on the touch screen, it tells me at the bottom of the screen which presser foot to use for that stitch (the presser feet are labeled by letters "J", "G", etc). HTH?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Newbie Crafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starr5678 View Post
I have the SE350, which is a similar machine. My first thought is that you might want to double-check the presser foot and make sure the stitch you want to use is compatible with the presser foot you have on the machine. On mine, there are only some stitches that work with each presser foot. When I select the stitch I want on the touch screen, it tells me at the bottom of the screen which presser foot to use for that stitch (the presser feet are labeled by letters "J", "G", etc). HTH?
Thanks for responding. It's been difficult to get anyone to respond.

I was testing it with the basic stitch, which is presser food "J", and had the "J" foot on it. However, I was also trying to test the embroidery, with the "Q" food which is for the embroidery. The needle is just too far left and hits the needle plate. I broke several needles trying to test it.

At this point, I have the machine at the local Brother service center. They said it would need a full service cleaning and factory reset. The thread cassette was also not functioning properly.

I bought the machine used from someone with 100% feedback, and she did not disclose to me that it was not working when she sold it to me. I am trying to work with her to get a partial refund because there were a number of things she didn't tell me. I expected a used machine, I didn't expect one that wasn't in usable condition.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Craft Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Thanks for responding. It's been difficult to get anyone to respond.

I was testing it with the basic stitch, which is presser food "J", and had the "J" foot on it. However, I was also trying to test the embroidery, with the "Q" food which is for the embroidery. The needle is just too far left and hits the needle plate. I broke several needles trying to test it.

At this point, I have the machine at the local Brother service center. They said it would need a full service cleaning and factory reset. The thread cassette was also not functioning properly.

I bought the machine used from someone with 100% feedback, and she did not disclose to me that it was not working when she sold it to me. I am trying to work with her to get a partial refund because there were a number of things she didn't tell me. I expected a used machine, I didn't expect one that wasn't in usable condition.
Sorry that you have had such a rough time with your machine. I hope the servicing center gets to the bottom of the problem and you're back up and running soon. For what it's worth, I had an issue buying a used serger a while back that was like this - something was misaligned and the first time I used it, the lower needles on the needle plate broke and I had to have the entire needle plate replaced. The service center said they thought the misalignment could have happened during shipping since I bought my serger on ebay and it did not arrive to me in the original packaging. I'll never know for sure, but it made me very wary of buying a machine on ebay ever again. My latest used purchase was on Craigslist, and I saw the machine in person and playing with it myself for a while before buying it. Much better experience. Anyway, here's hoping you're back to sewing and embroidering soon!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Newbie Crafter

I think I am just going to give in and return it. I am going to see if I can use the money I get back to just get a new machine.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Craft Addict

View Angela's Photo Album My Photos

I'll bet that seller doesn't have 100% positive feedback now. I'm sorry you are having such a lousy time with your machine. I wish I could help, but I don't know anything about them.

My daily project was completed on January 25, 2012, but you can still visit my blog The Daily Turtle if you would like to see my adventures making or photographing a turtle every day for a year.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
Craft Intern

Good luck with your return and renewed search for a machine. You might want to watch places like Overstock.com and HSN.com for machines to go on sale. You could also watch Amazon for factory reburbs - at least those would have been checked out by the company before shipping and would ship in proper packaging and most come with limited warranties. I bought my Brother on sale at Overstock. I also have seen HSN have Brother machines on their daily deal once in a while. Happy shopping!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
Craft Addict

View downrightart's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela View Post
I'll bet that seller doesn't have 100% positive feedback now. I'm sorry you are having such a lousy time with your machine. I wish I could help, but I don't know anything about them.
I sew some, but I'm not all that handy with sewing machines. I have a Husqvarna and I don't know much about it either.

Sorry you didn't get a response but most of the time that only means "we have no clue"

Hope you get a good deal on a simple machine and it makes you a HappySmileyLady again!
downrightart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:16 PM   #9
Newbie Crafter

View ldobsonrn's Photo Album My Photos

Be glad. The thread cassette was the worst thing Brother ever invented. I did not have an embroidery machine but just a regular one. And it NEVER worked right. I do have a Brother Pacesetter 8500D embroidery machine and I LOVE it. It is an older Brother machine but has worked like a DOG! I have sewn drapes, costumes, leather you name it on that machine plus all of the embroidery that I have done. My point being is that Brother usually makes great machines but avoid the models with the cassettes. They are junk! BTW on my Brother machine I can program my machine for a center or left needle placement.
ldobsonrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:27 AM   #10
Newbie Crafter

View Belcher's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I just bought a used Brother SE 270D. I have wanted this machine for a while specifically for the Disney embroidery.

I bought it used and haven't been able to get it working since it arrived. There have been a few different issues, but the one I haven't been able to resolve is the needle position. It's too far to the left. It hits the needle plate. If I choose a center stitch or change the stitch width, it will move it to the right, but then if I try to embroider anything, it goes right back to the left and hits the needle plate again.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I have checked the Brother website, I have googled and been through the manual too.
Brother XM2701 Lightweight, Full-Featured Sewing Machine with 27 Stitches is better than Brother SE 270D if you had conducted a research before buying this you might not have faced the problem, for now you should go to the market for a repair because it can only be resolved by the mechanic i think. Moreover while searching for your problem i found a collection of best sewing machines with their pros and cons listed on the page. You should bookmark it so that in future you can first read some review and then decide which one to buy. Hope it might help you. Any question? You can simply reply my post i will surely try to help you.
Belcher is offline   Reply With Quote