Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Sewing and Needlework > Sewing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View SewingAmy101's Photo Album My Photos
Default Can you please help?

Hello,

I'm writing a book about sewing and am looking for some real-life tips from people who sew. Can you please help me by answering a quick, easy question?

It's really easy and will take less than 2 minutes of your time.

Here is the question:

What sewing tip(s) would you give to a friend?

The tip can be about anything at all that relates to sewing. If it would help someone else and make sewing easier for them then I would love to hear it.

Please click this link to send me your answer.

link deleted
The link is safe to click and this is all totally free. You won't be asked to buy anything, you don't have to register for anything and you won't be put on any list.

If I use your answer in my book I will give you credit for it (or if you prefer you can stay anonymous.)

I appreciate your time and help. Thank you.

Last edited by gma2rjc; 06-06-2013 at 09:26 PM.
SewingAmy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 06-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Newbie Crafter

View Jinkxy's Photo Album My Photos

Hi Amy.

I think the best approach is to start simple. I think you should definitely try to cater to as many niches as possible. That being said, there are likely more beginners than anything else, and an experienced sewer more than likely won't buy the book.

1. Learn your machine.

You need to take the time to become intimate with your machine. You want to learn all of the kinks. Read the manual cover to cover. If you don't have the patience to do that, at the very least skim through it and look at the pictures. If you are a more visual learner, or someone who needs to be taught, classes might be more optimal for you. A store in my area that sells machines also offers classes. If you don't have the manual, you can likely find them online. You should also know what kind of machine you are buying. If you are a beginner, you'd like a machine that is friendly to you.

2. Pins are your best friend.

Don't be afraid of overusing pins. You want to line everything up as perfectly as possible before you even use a machine. Colored pins are preferable because they are easier to see and grab.

3. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Start small!

Most likely, it isn't a good idea for you to jump in and start buying dress patterns. You can waste a lot of money if you don't know what you are doing. Try to find simple projects with things you have lying around. You'd be surprised at what you can use in place of pretty dress patterns.

4. Take your time. Breathe.

Everyone has to start somewhere. All of your hard work and practice will pay off eventually.

5. Iron as you go.

A good ironing is an easy step in making your product appear professional and neat. If you sew over an old wrinkle, it will always be there and your work will suffer as a result.

6. Ask questions.

Never stop learning. Ask a million questions if you feel the need. If you aren't sure about something, it is better to ask. Look up YouTube tutorials if you are unsure on how to do something.

Jinkxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Newbie Crafter

View SewingAmy101's Photo Album My Photos
Default Re: Can You Please Help?

Hi Jinkxy,

Thanks for your tips! Is it alright if I use this in my book?

Sewing Amy.
SewingAmy101 is offline   Reply With Quote