Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Sewing and Needlework > Sewing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View Springermommy820's Photo Album My Photos
Default Newold Sewing machine- White-628

I got this machine as a X-mas present for my girlfriend who said that she wanted to get into sewing. She loves crafts so i figured this would be great for her. I found this for sale locally and I think i got a good deal. The guy said it was at least 5o years old. I really liked the all metal body and the vintage style. Seems much better quality than the plastic new ones. He had just serviced it. Runs great, very smooth. Is there anything special I should know about this machine? Any tips for a beginner?

Springermommy820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 12-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Craft Addict

View Angela's Photo Album My Photos

I don't have any tips for you because I have a love/hate relationship with my machine. I started out with a nice little machine that did straight and zigzag stitches. It was a really ugly baby blue. I like the look of yours a lot! I hope she loves it.

My daily project was completed on January 25, 2012, but you can still visit my blog The Daily Turtle if you would like to see my adventures making or photographing a turtle every day for a year.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Creative Crafter

View jessicalee's Photo Album My Photos

I Love it!
Great score for sure.
I'm glad to see it came with a book, if not I was going to say you could google the brand/model/number to see if theres a digital one. Maybe even some tips would pop up if you did a search.
Be patient with it, practice on scraps while you learn the machine, pedal pressure-tension dial-different stitches.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
Pro Crafter

View weareborgswife's Photo Album My Photos

Yep I was going to say manual!!! Glad it came with one- that is my biggest ERRR with the older machines is not having a manual.

How did she like it?
weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:33 AM   #5
Newbie Crafter

View Silveriz's Photo Album My Photos
Default 628 sewing machine manual

You posted this awhile ago, however, I hope you see this. I need a copy of the manual for this machine. I recently acuired my mother's machine that I learned how to sew on. I had to have it referbished, but now it runs beautifully. I would love to have a pdf or photos of the manual if you have time.
I hope your friend is enjoying using this great model.
Thank you
S.

p.s. my sewing machine repair man told me to keep the tension on 5 and to only use Schmetz needles. He also suggested to oil the hook area once a month (sew with a scrap piece of material to clean rid extra oil) and the entire machine each year. This machine will also sew leather!

Last edited by Silveriz; 06-12-2017 at 07:38 AM. Reason: added a p.s.
Silveriz is offline   Reply With Quote