Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Sewing and Needlework > Sewing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View RockABuyReen's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to RockABuyReen
Red face Sewing a bra... help!

My girls are huge... like embarrassing huge. I even buy my bras outside of the US cause finding a 34-36 M? is near impossible, especially if I want something somewhat pretty. I end up paying around $50 for a 36 HH or J bra from the UK, which in my opinion is way too much, especially since they never fit quite right.

So basically I have 1 bra that fits okay, and I can use to breastfeed in. 1 more that doesn't do a great job, but is my back up and a total pain, literally, to breastfeed in. So today as I was slaving away in the backyard, my under wire popped out... of my 'favorite' bra.

So there's the long story, the short is, I'm fed up and want to learn to make my own bras... I'm looking for help here, tutorials, books, links anything. I'm ready to research and get this going.
I have saved a few under wires from my dead bra's... and am sure I can find any other pieces to construct a bra easily... it's just the how to... where to measure (the how to measure your bra size charts are NOT correct AT ALL, if I followed that I'd be wearing a pointless dangling mess) anyway... I need to know how to get the right shape, how to avoid cones I know how to turn a bra into a nursing bra, just hadn't got around to 'fixing' my other... now I may have to .

I'm seriously considering making a paper mache of my bust so I can have a 'model'. I really don't want to cut up my bras, cause I only have... 1.5...

any help would be greatly appreciated

Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 04-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Creative Crafter

View mamarose22's Photo Album My Photos

I really don't have any advice on sewing your own bras, however sometimes you might find a corset shop that makes custom made bras. I can't say that it would be cheaper than what you have been paying, but they would fit better and certainly last longer.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
Craft Addict

View Angela's Photo Album My Photos

I tried finding information online a few months ago about that! My problem is the opposite though. They don't seem to make inexpensive pretty bras for small women. I gave up my search. But I do recall seeing that a pattern company (Simplicity maybe?) has patterns.
I don't know if that helps at all.

My daily project was completed on January 25, 2012, but you can still visit my blog The Daily Turtle if you would like to see my adventures making or photographing a turtle every day for a year.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
Creative Crafter

View UndrThTblNDrumng's Photo Album My Photos

here's some links to get you started This has been something I've been researching for a while:

lots to read here but it's a collaboration of a lot of info: http://www.funhouse.com/babs/UnderwireFAQ.txt

all sorts of links to places to go: http://sewing.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...ass_start.html

I've been told that this book is like the bra makers bible. You can get it via PDF if you need something a little cheaper but you're not able to print any of it: http://www.bramakersmanual.com/

I hope those help to get you started.
UndrThTblNDrumng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Creative Crafter

View mamakaty's Photo Album My Photos

I don't know anything about sewing a bra, sorry, but I do know about wearing a hard to find size. Have you heard of any of these stores??

http://www.biggerbras.com/

http://breakoutbras.stores.yahoo.net/index.html ( I ordered nursing bras from here. Angela, they also have smaller sizes too...you might look around.)

There's another one that I've purchased online from, but can't seem to find the link. If I do, I'll make sure it share it as well.

I agree that bras are expensive, but when you do find one that actually fits properly, it's worth it! (but yes, I've spent way too much $$ on bras that don't fit...ugh). You're right, a lot of the size charts aren't right either...

Good luck!! I hope you are able to find some information that helps you!!

My blog: Alphabet Soup
mamakaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Pro Crafter

View weareborgswife's Photo Album My Photos

Watching this thread with interest as I am in the same boat as Angela... On the breakout bra site, I measured a 30 A... and they didn't have any that size .... I have looked for some in the juniors dept BUT they don't have long enough straps. I have been contemplating making my own for a while... may have to give it a try!
weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
Creative Crafter

View mamakaty's Photo Album My Photos

Found the other one!

http://www.birthandbaby.com/

My blog: Alphabet Soup
mamakaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Creative Crafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareborgswife View Post
Watching this thread with interest as I am in the same boat as Angela... On the breakout bra site, I measured a 30 A... and they didn't have any that size .... I have looked for some in the juniors dept BUT they don't have long enough straps. I have been contemplating making my own for a while... may have to give it a try!
You could extend the straps, by adding a piece of elastic to the part of the strap (in the back) that it is stitched to the bra.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
Pro Crafter

View weareborgswife's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
You could extend the straps, by adding a piece of elastic to the part of the strap (in the back) that it is stitched to the bra.
That was my thought... I will see what I can find (maybe find a 2nd hand one cheap to try it out on).
weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
Creative Crafter

You don't have to buy a second-hand bra for the straps. I'm sure you can find "soft" elastic in the width of your bra straps at Joannes or Walmart or any other trimming/notions store. Many years ago, that's what I used to do when the elastic in my bras would stretch out.