Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Sewing and Needlework > Sewing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Crafting Student

View TJsmommy's Photo Album My Photos
Question Twirl DRess

Does anyone make twirl dresses? what pattern do you use?
I'm thinking of making one, but i'm a complete newbie sewer and i'm not sure if I'll be able to handle it. Are they easy to make?

I'm a WAHM with a knitting business. I enjoy knitting, scrapbooking, photography and just started learning how to sew. I love all things crafts and am always looking for new ideas! My work at home mom page my Knitting store
TJsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 01-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Newbie Crafter

View stacy_smile's Photo Album My Photos

I haven't made any dresses, but I have made skirts from this tutorial. They are pretty easy - the hardest part is getting the gather distributed evenly, but lots of pins help with this. My DD loves her twirly skirts! I pair it with a cute tank top or t-shirt.
stacy_smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Crafting Student

View Adviga's Photo Album My Photos

I just did a twirly skirt using the indietutes tutorial. Look around while you are in her blog because she has a number of great tutorials including instructions for basic sewing techniques. She shows how to use clear elastic for gathering. I didn't do too well with this but that may be because I'm too used to gathering by hand.

I think a twirly skirt is a great project for a newbie. You'll learn a lot and it will turn out cute! The gathering can be a bit tricky and tedious but it is completely doable!
Adviga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
Pro Crafter

View weareborgswife's Photo Album My Photos

Would the same process work for a knit fabric? I am going to try and make something similar to this:
http://www.hannaandersson.com/style....simg=36331_14C

But with long sleeves and a simple neckline (not sure I'm up to that!)

I am thinking I can just make the tiers bigger towards the bottom and then have the last one be a measurment a bit bigger than my dd's chest... and make the top, like a cropped long sleeve t-shirt...

Also hope to use the ruffle/gathering foot on my serger, the knit is light, so I think it will work.
weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
Newbie Crafter

View plfreitag's Photo Album My Photos
Default knits for twirly skirts

The one thing you'll need to be careful of is how long you make the skirt or dress if you're sewing with knits, since the weight of the lower layers will pull on the top and it will sag unless it is a relatively stable knit, lightweight and you're making a short skirt or dress.

You don't want to know how I know.

Trisha in MO
plfreitag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
Crafting Student

View TJsmommy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adviga View Post
I just did a twirly skirt using the indietutes tutorial. Look around while you are in her blog because she has a number of great tutorials including instructions for basic sewing techniques. She shows how to use clear elastic for gathering. I didn't do too well with this but that may be because I'm too used to gathering by hand.

I think a twirly skirt is a great project for a newbie. You'll learn a lot and it will turn out cute! The gathering can be a bit tricky and tedious but it is completely doable!
Thank you! that blog is great! I think i'm going to just go ahead and attempt to make the skirt. Its for a 3-6 month old so it shouldn't take a lot of time! I'm scared to attempt the gathering technique though...
we'll see how it turns out. I think i'm going to use some of DH's old work shrits for the panels.
I'm a WAHM with a knitting business. I enjoy knitting, scrapbooking, photography and just started learning how to sew. I love all things crafts and am always looking for new ideas! My work at home mom page my Knitting store
TJsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
Newbie Crafter

View coveredbydesign's Photo Album My Photos

http://squigglytwigs.blogspot.com/ She has a twirl dress pattern and a few other good ones.

coveredbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
Craft Intern

View Kymy's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to Kymy Send a message via Yahoo to Kymy

indietutes tutorial is a great place to start! I think it would work fine with knit using solid tiers. I would definitly make sure the bodices is fully lined/double layered so it is strong enough to hold the weight.

I know you want a L/S version of the Hanna... but I wanted to mention Costco has the summer tank versions with slight flutter sleeves of the Hanna Love To Twirl dresses from last year that for only $13.99! I bought some for the twins because you can't get the fabric that cheap. $38 no way in hell... $14 they practically jumped in my cart!

Kymy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
Pro Crafter

View weareborgswife's Photo Album My Photos

KYMY - oh I hope they still have them! It will be summer soon ... plus it would give me a great way to "size" the l/s
weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
Newbie Crafter

View hands&fire pottery's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymy View Post
indietutes tutorial is a great place to start! I think it would work fine with knit using solid tiers. I would definitly make sure the bodices is fully lined/double layered so it is strong enough to hold the weight.

I know you want a L/S version of the Hanna... but I wanted to mention Costco has the summer tank versions with slight flutter sleeves of the Hanna Love To Twirl dresses from last year that for only $13.99! I bought some for the twins because you can't get the fabric that cheap. $38 no way in hell... $14 they practically jumped in my cart!
Is Costco actually selling HA brand?!?
hands&fire pottery is offline   Reply With Quote