Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Sewing and Needlework > Sewing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View prueslove's Photo Album My Photos
Question Ways I can attach words to fabric

Hello crafters,
I'm looking for advice for a DIY gift: what are some of the best ways to fix text onto fabric? I'd like to attach intricate cursive words to a pillowcase [see similar examples below].

I simply don't know what my method/technique options or what is easiest or most durable. My initial thought was to hand-sew the letters or use the machine, yet I'm novice at both. I also don't know if there's a durable fabric glue that would survive the wash? Or any other ironing, DIY screenprinting method/products? Any recommendations are welcomed!

prueslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 02-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
Creative Crafter

View mamarose22's Photo Album My Photos

I think there is a product you can buy in craft stores and you can use it to make a photo transfer that you can iron on to fabric. you just have to make sure that you use a mirror image on your transfer paper so it will come out correctly when you iron it on to the fabric.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
Master Crafter

View gremlin's Photo Album My Photos

There are all sorts of ways to do this.

Glue: There are several types of fabric glue, the bottles should be tell just how permanent they are.

Transfer: You can get iron on transfers, or you can "trace" the design onto the fabric then color it with fabric paint or fabric pens.

Stitch-Witchery: Similar to the glue methods, it is a "fabric" that you cut the same size and shape as your words. It then sandwiches between the two materials and the heat of the iron causes it to "melt" them together. Basically, a "dry" glue.

Sewing: can be done by hand or by machine. Usually the stitches will show, although there is the "blind hem stitch" that comes up from the back side of the material and does not show as much.

Depending on the material you use for the letters, you will need to be careful of the edges fraying. The pictures you show look like the letters were made from felt. If so, then the glue or stitch-witchery methods would probably work best.

gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
Newbie Crafter

View prueslove's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
There are all sorts of ways to do this.

Glue: There are several types of fabric glue, the bottles should be tell just how permanent they are.

Transfer: You can get iron on transfers, or you can "trace" the design onto the fabric then color it with fabric paint or fabric pens.

Stitch-Witchery: Similar to the glue methods, it is a "fabric" that you cut the same size and shape as your words. It then sandwiches between the two materials and the heat of the iron causes it to "melt" them together. Basically, a "dry" glue.

Sewing: can be done by hand or by machine. Usually the stitches will show, although there is the "blind hem stitch" that comes up from the back side of the material and does not show as much.

Depending on the material you use for the letters, you will need to be careful of the edges fraying. The pictures you show look like the letters were made from felt. If so, then the glue or stitch-witchery methods would probably work best.
Thank you, Gremlin! I didn't even consider fabric paint or pens, but it might be a good idea. I feel like at this point, I'm leaning closest to permanent fabric glue (looks like it's what they used on the "happy day" pillow above) but with a slightly thinner fabric (my pillow is meant to be slept on). Anyone have any glue brand recommendations?
prueslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
Newbie Crafter

View Monkey_Bizness's Photo Album My Photos

I have sewn appliques on before, I use a straight stitch first to go all around the applique, then I make a 2nd pass around using the smallest zig zag stitch. Makes it really durable and gives the applique a clean finished look.

http://hyenacart.com/Monkeybizness

honey1@ameritech.net

Monkey_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
Craft Intern

View glynisrose's Photo Album My Photos

Cut your words out of felt, they won't fray then!!
glynisrose is offline   Reply With Quote