Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Cooking & Baking

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
Pro Crafter

View mamaslittlemonkeys's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to mamaslittlemonkeys
Default Anyone Else Gluten Free?

I might've asked this before....can't remember.. lol. Just checking
I have Celiac disease and must eat gluten free. Both my sons are also, one for gluten sensitivity and one because he has Autism (and is probably gluten sensitive too...never bothered to test after he got diagnosed with Autism.)

If u are, whats ur fave GF foods? Yuckiest?

amy

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Craft Addict

View Angela's Photo Album My Photos

Nobody in our house has allergies to food, or even sensitivities. Just lots of dislikes.
I wanted to respond to this though, just so I don't look like I am ignoring your post!

My daily project was completed on January 25, 2012, but you can still visit my blog The Daily Turtle if you would like to see my adventures making or photographing a turtle every day for a year.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Super Moderator

View gma2rjc's Photo Album My Photos

Have you ever looked at Elizabeth Hasslebeck's GF book? I heard her talking about it on tv a couple times.

Barb

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Pro Crafter

Oooooh Barb don't get me started on Hasselback....(and no, not her politics, I acutally usually concur on those...tho I'm more libertarian!)...
She has a LOT of mistruths in her book and I'm disappointed in how she marketed it, pushing the diet as a DIET instead of pushign Celiac and gluten sensitivity awareness. There are SO many good books about it but she gets more press bc she's on a show... I was very disappointed and most of the Celiac groups did not support it much! I mean Im glad she brought attention to it...but now Celiac support group leaders like me have ot fix her misinformation.....

anyone else?? any allergies?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Pro Crafter

View DoilyMania's Photo Album My Photos

No allergies in our family besides my kiwi one. Long time ago I had to be on diet for three weeks it was not gluten free but no wheat products and I tell you it was horrible for me. My hats off to you for cooking gluten free on daily basis I am not sure I could do it. Years ago at work place I had friend that had to eat gluten free and every potluck I tried make something for him so he dont feel left out. One of things was flourless chocolate cake.
DoilyMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaslittlemonkeys View Post
Oooooh Barb don't get me started on Hasselback....(and no, not her politics, I acutally usually concur on those...tho I'm more libertarian!)...
She has a LOT of mistruths in her book and I'm disappointed in how she marketed it, pushing the diet as a DIET instead of pushign Celiac and gluten sensitivity awareness. There are SO many good books about it but she gets more press bc she's on a show... I was very disappointed and most of the Celiac groups did not support it much! I mean Im glad she brought attention to it...but now Celiac support group leaders like me have ot fix her misinformation.....

anyone else?? any allergies?
Wow, I didn't know that. I've never read it, but when I hear someone talking about having to eat gluten-free foods, I mention that book. But I won't anymore! Thanks for letting me know.

How can someone write a book and get so much wrong? Maybe she didn't write most of it? Maybe she had other people gather information and they didn't know anything about it? Who knows. That's really a shame though. I feel bad for the people out there who are faced with it or their child is diagnosed with it. The last thing they need is the wrong information.

Bless your heart for helping people with it though. I'm sure they appreciate it.

Barb

Old 01-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
Pro Crafter

barb, I hope you didn't think I was yelling at yoU!!!! (((Hugs))) Ir ealized how snarky I sounded! LOL

I'm not sure if she wrote it all...but you know what is weird, is HER doctor is the famed Dr. Peter Green who is the leading expert on Celiac. (by the way HIS book, "Celiac Disease, A Hidden Epidemic" is an EXCELLENT book to suggest to ppl!)

She got a lot of stuff right but I just did not like her pushing the GF diet as a diet for regular ppl. Wheat and gluten has an incredibly valid place in most of society's diet...the GF diet can be hard to get all your grains and nutrients, especially for children, so for her to push it as a weightloss thing is unthinkable in the GF community. If I recall she had a whole chapter on using it as weight loss!! I'm like dummy, most ppl with Celaic GAIN weight when they go GF because their body can finally absorb nutrients now that the gluten isnt' destroying their intestines!! I just couldn't believe she pushed that.

She had af ew other inaccuracies, I can't recall what...but overall, not a HORRIBLE book just not the best for anyoen who's new to Celiac and doesn't know. Dr Green's book, and any Dana Korn book is totally worth while. Gluten Free for Dummies by Dana Korn was great!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I didn't think for one second that you were yelling at me Amy. And it didn't sound snarky at all. It would frustrate me too if I was working hard to help people with celiacs disease and a book came out that was teaching the wrong things.

Barb

Old 01-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Craft Addict

View Angela's Photo Album My Photos

I didn't think you were yelling at Barb either, for what it is worth. It obviously a subject you are very passionate about, that is all I got out of it. (and the fact that you don't like that particular book!!!)

This is a subject that I know absolutely nothing about, so I think that this thread is interesting.

My daily project was completed on January 25, 2012, but you can still visit my blog The Daily Turtle if you would like to see my adventures making or photographing a turtle every day for a year.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angela For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (01-22-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
Pro Crafter

Ok PHEW! I'm always saying stuff online and then going, "did that come out how I wanted it to come out!?" So easy to get oneself into trouble online these days! Can't read 'tone of voice' or 'inflection' online! LOL