Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Cooking & Baking

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Creative Crafter

View luvkadcl's Photo Album My Photos
Default Bagels..They are easier than you think!!

My bread machine cookbook has a recipe for bagels. I tried them once long ago from another cookbook and they didn't come out right. This cook said she got it from a local bagel shop, so I thought I had to try it. It was so much easier than I thought it would be. The kids and I had a lot of fun. And...they came out GREAT. Everyone said they were the best bagels they ever tasted. Now, I am from Central NJ which isn't too far from NYC. NYC has the best bagels IMO. A lot of the bagel shops were families from NYC. Hard and crispy on the outside, soft and flavorful on the inside. These bagels were not as crispy but they were really good. I would definitely make them again and research how to get them crispier. Maybe lowering the heat and cooking them longer. Let me know if anyone tries to make them. We did use the bread machine for kneading and rising for 20 min.

Here is the recipe with pictures below:
Bagels

1 cup of water
2 tb sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup of whole wheat flour
2 cups white four
2 tsp. yeast

Let the machine knead the dough once and then let dough rise for 20 only in the machine. (If you don't have a machine, mix your water, sugar, and yeast and let sit for 5 min. Mix dry ingredients with wet. Knead for 10 min and let rise for 20 covered with a towel in a warm place) Divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll each piece inot a rope and form a circle, pressing ends together.

Place bagels on a well greased baaking sheet. Cover and let rise 20 min. Meanwhile, bring about 2 inches of water to a slight boiling a frying pan. Lower 3 bagels at a time into water, cooking for 30 seconds on each side. Remove bagels and drain on a towel. Place on greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with desired toppings (optional). Bake in a 550* oven for 8 min.

Here the children cut the dough into three strips and made a braid. These cost more around here. They were fun and easy too.
Time to let them rise

Dropping the bagels into boiling water

1 min later taking them out

Adding toppings. This was fun. We did cinnamon and sugar and everything. Onion,garlic, sesame and salt

I couldn't help but peak in the oven

luvkadcl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to luvkadcl For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (01-20-2010), hands&fire pottery (01-19-2010), Nathan (01-18-2010), RockABuyReen (01-19-2010)
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 01-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Crafting Student

View toymaker's Photo Album My Photos

You know, I just ate a Lender's bagel yesterday and it was awful. Your bagels look tasty!!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
Craft Intern

View Nathan's Photo Album My Photos

I LOVE bagels. I'm going to have to try this out. Thanks!
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
Craft Intern

View AshleyLD's Photo Album My Photos

YYYUUMMM!! I love bagels! I might just have to do this...
Old 01-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
Newbie Crafter

View dkortea's Photo Album My Photos
Red face Bagels

I made bagel years ago from my bread machine book and I thought you boiled them with baking soda in the water. I will try to find the recipe on Tuesday after I get my hubby off on his business trip.
dkortea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
Creative Crafter

View Jrits's Photo Album My Photos

I LOVE your pics - looks like the kids had fun I'm a NY girl & very picky about my bagels, but I might just have to try this!
Jrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Creative Crafter

My husband grew up in NY and from Central NJ to North Jersey it is filled with NY style food. That was all I knew. Moving here to SW NJ was quite a food shocker. Water Ice? I had no idea what it was. Turned out it was Italian Ice. Of course Italian Ice a slight bit better Good bagels are very hard to come by here. NY bagels are NY bagles. But do try these. You will be shocked by the taste. Really, really good!

Peace,
Cindy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrits View Post
I LOVE your pics - looks like the kids had fun I'm a NY girl & very picky about my bagels, but I might just have to try this!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
Creative Crafter

Thanks! Yes , the kids did have fun. Dough is like clay or play dough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrits View Post
Old 01-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
Creative Crafter

Very interesting....when I make pretzels I dip them in a baking soda water bath. And yes, that makes them crispier. You really have me thinking that this may be the secret to crispy bagels. Getting tingles!! Gosh it really doesn't take much to make me happy. My husband doesn't know how lucky he is. Thanks so much for getting me thinking. My recipe didn't call for the soda bath for the bagels but you can bet I can't wait to try it.

Thanks!!
Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkortea View Post
I made bagel years ago from my bread machine book and I thought you boiled them with baking soda in the water. I will try to find the recipe on Tuesday after I get my hubby off on his business trip.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
Craft Intern

View monkeybunns's Photo Album My Photos

Those look and sound SO yummy! I'll have to make some this week I think!