Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Cooking & Baking

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
Super Moderator

View gma2rjc's Photo Album My Photos
Default Expired cake, cookie, pancake mix... dangerous?

I got an 'URGENT' email the other day saying that any expired cake, cookie, pancake mix, etc. could kill someone who eats anything made with them.

I always throw things away if I notice they're expired. After reading the whole Snopes article, I feel better knowing that if I don't notice the date, it's not necessarily going to kill EVERYONE who eats outdated mixes. But it can be fatal to someone who has allergies to mold.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Here's part of the email I got:

Or, skip reading it and click on the Snopes link as it's more thorough in its explanation.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

: A REAL Warning re: cake mixes - who knew ??

Subject: Warning re: cake mixes - who knew??
I always thought that "old" mixes that were past their expiration date would just not rise/bake correctly. This is scary! Note that it's confirmed on Snopes.

Somebody wrote: Before my surgery I bought quite a few Duncan Hines cakes mixes that were on sale. A couple of months ago I decide to use one, I checked the expiration date and found it past, all the boxes were passed the expiration date. I phoned Duncan Hinds to ask if the one that was only two months passed if it was OK. She told me in no uncertain words to throw them all out, she even said to open the boxes and throw the mix in the garbage, just in case someone picked it up and used it

According to Snopes:
Subject: Cake Mixes & Toxins- **PLEASE READ** Pass this on to ALL in your address book. You never know whose life you may save by doing so. For those of you at work, PLEASE remember to check your cupboards when you get home tonight!!!

This is confirmed on Snopes http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

A student at HBHS (high school) had pancakes this week and it almost became fatal. His Mom (registered nurse) made him pancakes, dropped him off at school and headed to play tennis. She never takes her cell phone on the court but did this time and her son called to say he was having trouble breathing. She told him to go to the nurse immediately and proceeded to call school and alert the nurse. The nurse called the paramedics and they were there in 3 minutes and worked on the boy all the way to the hospital. He came so close to dying. Evidently this is more common then I ever knew. Check the expiration dates on packages like pancakes and cake mixes that have yeast which over time develop spores.
Apparently, the mold that forms in old mixes can be toxic! Throw away ALL OUTDATED pancake mix, brownie mixes, Bisquick, cake & cookie mixes, etc., you have in your home.

P.S.
Tell this to your children, grandchildren, nephews, nieces and anyone else who keeps these types of mixes in the cupboard.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 10-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Craft Addict

View Angela's Photo Album My Photos

My uncle is very helpful and sends me every warning he gets.
So I've seen this one before and, like you, I always go straight to Snopes.
Mixes don't last long enough here to expire so it isn't an issue for me. But it did concern me because when I went for allergy tests years ago the only two things that came back as allergies were oak trees and mold!

I'm also blogging about my crafting. I'd love to see you there. Please visit Crafty Distractions and say hello.

My daily project was completed on January 25, 2012, but you can still visit my blog The Daily Turtle if you would like to see my adventures making or photographing a turtle every day for a year.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Administrator

View Rasha's Photo Album My Photos

I hadn't heard of this, but like Snopes points out it'd have to be pancake mix that has not been properly kept in its packaging for mold to even happen.

I make pancakes and waffles from scratch (it's really not hard to mix together a few standard ingredients) so this isn't much of a concern of mine... though it is a good reminder not to keep whole wheat flour around too long (you know the healthy stuff expires faster).
Rasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,019 Times in 964 Posts
View pinokeeo's Photo Album My Photos

I was reading an article just this morning about a lady who made lasagna with tortillas, and she found mold on them. She was advised by a nurse to toss it immediately and not feed it to anyone. The reason was that there are so many different types of mold, and some of them are toxic. And sometimes you can't even see the mold.

Having a very sensitive nose, I can smell mold before I can see it, so if something is off with my sniffer, I dump it. Better than taking chances.

Thanks for the heads up, Barb.

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

Strangers are just friends that we haven't met yet.
pinokeeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Super Moderator

A friend of mine who was my boss at the bakery I worked at said chocolate can have mold on it too ( Nnooooo!!).

Well rats! I tried to look it up on Google and all I can find is chocolate molds. Sometimes google just doesn't understand me.

Oh well, if I remember right, she said it's a powdery, light brown coating on the chocolate.

Barb

Old 10-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Super Moderator

What about cheese? Is it true that you can just cut the blue or green mold off of it and eat the rest if it's not outdated?

Barb

Old 10-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Craft Addict

View Angela's Photo Album My Photos

I've never heard the mold on chocolate thing, but I know that chocolate "blooms" if it is kept somewhere where the temperature changes. That gives it kind of a powdery coating and it is perfectly safe to eat. I'm going to have to look that up now!!!!!
Edit: I found this on a site called Joy of Baking:
chocolate should have a smooth, even, and glossy unblemished appearance. The surface should not be dull or have grayish-white streaks and dots (called chocolate bloom or fat bloom). Bloom is when the cocoa butter has separated causing it to rise to the surface of the chocolate. This happens when the chocolate is stored in too humid or too warm a temperature. The chocolate can still be used as it only minimally affects the taste and texture.

Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChoosingS...#ixzz12HSkX1Gz

How Stuff Works explains it too.

As for cheese, I don't know what the official doctor-recommended suggestion is, but I cut the mold off all the time. Although I am careful to not place the clean cheese in the same area of the cutting board as the moldy part and I clean the knife between cuts so I'm not just spreading it around. We've never gotten sick from it.... ..that I know of...

I'm also blogging about my crafting. I'd love to see you there. Please visit Crafty Distractions and say hello.

My daily project was completed on January 25, 2012, but you can still visit my blog The Daily Turtle if you would like to see my adventures making or photographing a turtle every day for a year.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angela For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (10-14-2010)
Old 10-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #8
Craft Intern

View Luv2BCrafty's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for sharing these valuable information. This is the first time I have seen this report. Although our pancake mixes doesn't stay long in the pantry and I always throw away expired items in the ref and pantry, it's good to know about these.
Luv2BCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Creative Crafter

View kocho's Photo Album My Photos

Oh boy. I'll have to be more careful. DH is the one to toss outdated stuff, I'm more likely to cook it up if he's not looking. lol
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,019 Times in 964 Posts
View pinokeeo's Photo Album My Photos

We have used cheese with the mold cut off, and have never been sickened by it.

I've also used chocolate that has had the cocoa butter rise to the surface, but usually only in a recipe. I don't like to eat it like that.

I think the molds that they were referring to have something to do with flour or grains of some sort.

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

Strangers are just friends that we haven't met yet.
pinokeeo is offline   Reply With Quote