Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Art Work

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View VinylCrafter's Photo Album My Photos
Lightbulb Canvas sign with vinyl stencil - having issues

Hi all!

I literally joined to Asked this question. Before Doing So, I've searched the Forums briefly And cannot find answers to what I'm Looking for. I recently started creating signs on canvas and wood and I use a vinyl stencil to do so that is cut with a US Cutter vinyl cutter.

Prior to wood projects I coat them with a clear top coat (spray paint) so the wood doesn't come off with the vinyl. It's a soft wood. So far it's worked up until last night. Also, sort of having the same issues with canvas. I studied and found I need decoupage or modge pog on the canvas because it can help the vinyl stick and also help with any bleeding of paint.

I use basic acrylic paints and oracal 651 indoor/outdoor permanent vinyl. If I don't use 651, it doesn't stick to anything I'm trying to put a stencil on. Wood included. However, if I try to paint a background on a canvas or wood and let it dry then apply the vinyl for a design over top... It pulls my bottom layer of paint off. I also, for the life of me, cannot make it stop bleeding under the vinyl although I squeegee the vinyl on fairly well. I've even done background color then modge lodge over top thinking it would help 😬 Maybe I didnt

I started this as a hobby then friends started asking for signs so it's gone a bit further than I planned.

Now.. I've used the vinyl stencils with modge pog and glitter and it works wonders.... But not everyone wants glitter.

Anyhow... ANY insights is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post. I also have photos I can send anyone who wants to see them.
Attached Thumbnails
Canvas sign with vinyl stencil -  having issues-image.jpg  

Last edited by VinylCrafter; 10-23-2016 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Pic added
VinylCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesn’t matter if you’re just getting started or if you’re an old pro, you’ll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it’s totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 10-23-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
Master Crafter

View gremlin's Photo Album My Photos

Canvas and Wood, by their very nature, are going to allow bleeding of paint. They are not smooth enough to get a really good seal. Even putting a layer of paint or sealer is not going to create a smooth enough surface to prevent the bleeding. I'm not familiar with the vinyl you are using. If it were me, I would try a peel and stick foam type product for the stencil. Something that can "squish" into all the unevenness of the wood or canvas, but still peel off without pulling the background paint. You could try it with a small piece from WalMart just to see if it would work.

gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #3
Newbie Crafter

View Jamee's Photo Album My Photos

I want to see your work, I want to send pictures but do not know how to do it
Jamee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
Craft Intern

View Jenn_Scott's Photo Album My Photos

I have never ran into this issue but I have not had to do anything of the sort. Why not use a sponge to paint with instead of a brush to keep yourself from using too much paint at once?
Jenn_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote