Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Community > Member Hosted Contests

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Craft Addict

View downrightart's Photo Album My Photos
Arrow Member's Patriotic Challenge Entries

Okay! Here we go! Starting June 24th - June 28th each member will post a written story of what Patrioism means to you or why you have chosen your entry(ies).

Then the judges will begin judging entries. On July 1st the winner(s) will be posted.

Best wishes to you all from me. It's been so much fun and challenging to be a part of this forum. Thank you ALL for such a warm and delightful welcome. It's my favorite place to come these days.

A big thanks to Nathan and Barb for being helpful to me in organizing this challenge and being so very supportive of it. And a special thanks to rrbrown(Richard) and Suba_Dave for being kind enough to help judge.

Good luck everyone!

Tracy aka Downrightart

EDIT: Please make your comments here about the entries: Patriotic Crafts Membership Challange Sign up here!!! This way our judges can look without the conversation/comments/compliment posts. THANK YOU!

Congratulations to all our participates.....they were all top notch! But, we had to narrow them down. Many thanks to rrbrown and Scuba_Dave for helping me with this!

And our winners are:

1st Place - Raffle Ticket Bowl (post#2)

2nd Place - 3 piece white top outfit with bow (post #16)
3rd Place - Doily covers/coozies (post #10)
4th Place - Soldier Pop up card (post #19)
5th Place - Wreath (Post #14)
6th Place - Bag (Post #8)

Last edited by downrightart; 07-01-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Posting Winners....
downrightart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 06-24-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,026 Times in 971 Posts
View pinokeeo's Photo Album My Photos

My first entry.

Patriotism for me means believing in my country and what it stands for. It's believing that I have a responsibility to uphold the laws of the land, and to do what I can to keep it clean.

Therefore I use as much recycled supplies as I can. And when I cannot use recycled, I use sustainable. This bowl is made entirely from raffle tickets.

I used the red, white and blue for the colors of our flag. The stars and stripes represent the design of the flag. There are thirteen stars and thirteen stripes in the design of the bowl, to represent the original colonies of the US. The bowl measures eight inches long, six inches wide and four inches deep. The bottom of the bowl is a piece of scrap wood, shaped in an oval to give the bowl a starting point.

Strangers are just friends that we haven't met yet.
pinokeeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,026 Times in 971 Posts
View pinokeeo's Photo Album My Photos
Default picture frame

My second entry.

Patriotism for me means believing in my country and what it stands for. It's believing that I have a responsibility to uphold the laws of the land, and to do what I can to keep it clean.

Therefore I use as much recycled supplies as I can. And when I cannot use recycled, I use sustainable. This picture frame is made from old floppy disks that were destined for the landfill.

The frame is a simple design, using red, white and blue, the colors of the flag. It measures 14 3/4 by 14 1/4 inches. The inside frame part is seven inches square. It has a reclaimed transparency for the window part, and the background is a wallpaper sample. It is stitched with nylon upholstery thread, and sewed on the edges with red braided cord that was also reclaimed from a dumpster. The top is open, so that a picture can just be slipped into it. The hanger is made from the same red cord.

Strangers are just friends that we haven't met yet.
pinokeeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Creative Crafter

View mamarose22's Photo Album My Photos

You are so creative. I love that bowl. I can see the blue raffle tickets. Are the red and white stripes raffle tickets also? How did you for them into thin strips?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Craft Intern

View achristian's Photo Album My Photos
Default Patriotic Paper Crafts

As an Army brat, patriotism ruled my entire growing up years. July 4th is one of the things I love to celebrate most because my family has sacrificed so much to make this country as great as it is. For the challenge, since I am a paper crafter, I made a party ensemble. It includes a water bottle mix in, a "firecracker" (lifesavers), and a party favor.

You can see more details on this post on my blog, and the posts from the two days before it:

http://allthingsalicia.typepad.com/a...ker-treat.html

Old 06-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
Pro Crafter

View mamaslittlemonkeys's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to mamaslittlemonkeys

Patriotism is not necessarily colors, a political side, or even where we are in the country. Patriotism to me is pride in your country, a desire to protect and honor it at all costs---even if you don't agree with the government. And patriotism is your RIGHT To disagree with the government and fight for change.

Patriotism to me is knowing the words to your national anthem, putting your hand over your heart, and supporting your nations soldiers EVEN IF you don't support the war they choose to fight. They fight for your right to DISAGREE with the war.

Patriotism is my ability to fight for my child's right to education and knowing that 100 years ago he'd have been institutionalized and now he has a possibility for a great life.

I love my country. God Bless America!!

~~Amy

July Fourth Fabric Wreath:

Patriotic Badge Reel...wear your pride at work!

Old 06-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
Creative Crafter

I just "wisted" (added to my Wists) the raffle ticket bowl. I think it is so clever.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Creative Crafter

View UndrThTblNDrumng's Photo Album My Photos

So I have one entry thus far... we'll see if the other one is ready by the deadline. My project bag. Sorry for the giant picture.

What patriotism means to me? I was adopted from S. Korea when I was 3 months old to a very white family. Culturally, my identity is 100% american. I have not personal herratige that I connect or hold onto. Being american cultrually has given me a great, deep respect for those who allow me to be who I am. I am a huge supporter of our troops who defend my rights to be me and I am so proud to live where I live.
UndrThTblNDrumng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Creative Crafter

That's a nice BIG bag. I bet it can hold a lot of projects.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
Pro Crafter

View DoilyMania's Photo Album My Photos

Patriotism is love and pride for your country and I am so glad that me and my family have two countries that I can call "my country". There is times I miss my homeland but USA is my home now and I am proud of it. At young age I experience war and that teach me to appreciate all freedom and rights that we have. I was military wife for 8 years and I appreciate and support all our troops and their families because it takes lots of hard work and sacrifice to do their job.

Here is our white,red and blue entry ...

More to come...
Attached Thumbnails
Member's Patriotic Challenge Entries-americana-star5.jpg  
Attached Images

DoilyMania is offline   Reply With Quote