Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Recycled Crafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2017, 02:27 AM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View Jeep03kj's Photo Album My Photos
Default 250' of 3/16" Steel Cable - Any creative ideas?

Hi Everyone,

I picked up an old 250' roll of 3/16" galvanized cable from a old hardware store and was thinking that I would be able to find some neat, outdoor (or maybe indoor), DIY/crafty ideas through the Googler.

All I'm finding so far are projects for hanging bookshelves (boards held up by steel cable) or deck railings (cable acts as spindles either vertically or horizontally). I'm looking for something more creative and wonder if you guys have any ideas.

Here's an example of what I have: https://www.e-rigging.com/three-sixt...lvanized-Cable

I'm open to cutting/welding/bending/whatever and have the amateur skills to work with it along with DIY skills like carpentry and copper plumbing (I'll explain why I mention that).

I have a long 6' tall cedar privacy fence in my backyard which surrounds an in-ground pool. The fence is well hidden by plants and grasses on the sides of the pool, but the back wall is straight cedar fence and is about 30' wide. It's bare and boring and I'd rather not just cover it up with more grasses.

My idea was to do some sort of copper water feature with a water pump and water falling into a buried collection pool, but my creativity is severely lacking. When I saw this steel cable I had some thought of hanging plants or a mix of water/copper feature plus steel cable.

I can certainly post pictures of what I'm talking about in regards to the backyard, but am curious if any of you have worked with steel cable (or what some call wire rope) and have any crafty ideas.

Thank you!

Jeep03kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 10-26-2017, 11:30 PM   #2
Master Crafter

View gremlin's Photo Album My Photos

Not something to hang on the fence, but it might make an interesting chair. Weave the cable to make the seat and back for a chair?

gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
Newbie Crafter

View Jeep03kj's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
Not something to hang on the fence, but it might make an interesting chair. Weave the cable to make the seat and back for a chair?
Interesting! Like an Adirondack? Maybe half-sized lifeguard stand seat/bench to stick to beach/pool theme?

Feel like drawing your idea up? Something simple in MS Paint or something?
Jeep03kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
Master Crafter

View gremlin's Photo Album My Photos

Not sure how to draw it up in MS Paint, but here are a couple of pictures that can give you an idea (hopefully).

For the adirondack chair, replace the white rope with the wire - woven around a wood or metal frame. If you do a metal frame, maybe you can weld the wire to the frame to make it a bit more sturdy.

The second image shows how you could weave the cable. Basically the same as it is woven, it would just take more weaves to cover the space.

The third image would be the life guard type chair. You could use the cable to weave the seat, and possibly the "step". You could use pipe or wood to make the frame, and string the cable from the back of the seat to the top of the back frame. You wouldn't have to have any going crosswise on the back. Strung tight enough and welded to a metal frame at the top and bottom, it should be strong enough for the back.
Attached Thumbnails
250' of 3/16" Steel Cable - Any creative ideas?-chair-1-.jpg  
Attached Images

gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote