Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Nature Crafting

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View Sethmonster's Photo Album My Photos
Default I need some advice about exterior sculpture materials

I need some advice regarding the preferred / more effective out-door material to use for a project.
I plan on making a few smaller sculptures, about 6 to 8 inches in size and relatively high-detail for sculptures intended to be installed exclusively out-doors.

Where I live receives a lot of UV light since we're pretty high in elevation, additionally we have very cold temperatures in the winter (-30 is normal for dead-of-winter) and summers get into the 80 to 90 degree temps.

To further complicate the issue, I want them to be bright and colorful and retain their color. Also, If you know of a material that I can do this with that is transparent / translucent that would open up some new options.

I usually work with Green-stuff (2 part epoxy clay) and Sculpey, gotten some decent wood sculpting done, and I have heard of the stuff called 'frog-skin' that apparently makes things weather-proof but I have never used it before.

(I'll share more details of what I'm planning if you think it could help narrow down my options)

I would appreciate the advice / experience of anyone that has had success in doing something like this.

Thanks in advance.

Sethmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE