Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Scrapbooking

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
Newbie Crafter

View Verican's Photo Album My Photos
Default Need a solution for an interchangable picture on top of a container.

Hello Everyone,

I am here to get some help finishing a project. Basically I have created a travel case to carry around a selection of decks for a game that I play with my friends. Each deck is in its own container, but there is no way to identify what deck is in each container.

I have created custom decals to put on the tops of the containers that will identify them. The trick is that I want these decals to be interchangeable, so that if I change a deck I can change out the decal as well.

My initial thought was to laminate the decals and glue them to a piece of velcro. The other piece would be glued to the top of each deck case. Finding velcro to fit the decals or cutting it to fit is going to be a hassle and I am curious if anyone knows of a better way?

For reference below is a picture of the case. Each black box you see is the deck case I want to be able to affix decals on.

It would be great if there was some kind of plate I could get that would attach to the top that I could slide the decals into for display purposes.

Any insights or ideas would be great, thanks!

Verican is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 06-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
Master Crafter

View gremlin's Photo Album My Photos

I have seen photo frames that are made from a single piece of clear acrylic that is folded over on itself. They come in a variety of sizes to fit different sizes of photos. Perhaps something like that would work. You could glue the frame to the top of the case, and you would be able to slide the picture in and out as often as needed.

gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #3
Craft Addict

View Angela's Photo Album My Photos

I can't tell the size of the cases, but I have seen little sleeves for baseball cards. some are thin, flexible film and some are a thin, harder plastic. If the size works, you could adhere one of those to the case and slide your identifying card into it.

My daily project was completed on January 25, 2012, but you can still visit my blog The Daily Turtle if you would like to see my adventures making or photographing a turtle every day for a year.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
Newbie Crafter

Thanks for your responses guys!

I had initially thought about using a top loader sleeve like you describe to put an identifying card in but unfortunately they are too big for the top of the case.

The acrylic photo holder has promise and I have found some that are a good size for the decals. The only problem is that they are more expensive than the cases themselves lol. I am going to keep looking though.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:39 PM   #5
Master Crafter

You might be able to make your own. You can get different thicknesses of acrylic at home improvement stores (like Home Depot). Cut it to the size you want, then use little seed beads as spacers to hold the two pieces of acrylic apart just right. Then you can either glue them together with silicone, or tape them together with a clear tape (leaving the top open to change them out).

That way you have the flexibility of making them the size you want, but not as expensive as buying premade frames.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #6
Newbie Crafter

That is a great idea! I also have piles of the top loader hard plastic sleeves I bet I could cut those down and remake them in the way you describe to achieve the same affect. Will be a good trial run on making them if nothing else.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Master Crafter

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #8
Craft Intern

View glynisrose's Photo Album My Photos

You should be able to get it cut at source!! I would have suggested a bit of velcro glued to the top and underside of the labels.
glynisrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #9
Newbie Crafter

While searching for double sided tape I discovered glue dots which are a pretty handy item for attaching things and being able to remove them at a later time without too much fuss if necessary. I cut down some plastic top-loader card holders and used those as the frames to hold the decals, I am pretty happy with the result! Thanks for all the input.

Finished product:

Old 06-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
Master Crafter

Those look good. I'm glad we were able to help you figure it out!