Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Scrapbooking

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 11:54 PM   #1

View CALIflower's Photo Album My Photos
Default Photo boxes vs photo albums???

Hi all. I have a question. I have thousands of pictures since I got a digital camera years ago. The problem is I don't have nearly enough room for all of the photo albums I will need for all of these pictures. I thought about transferring all of my pictures from photo albums to photo boxes instead. That way I could put several hundred photos in 1 photo box and still have lots of room.

Does anyone know if photo boxes are OK to store and protect photos long term? I just don't have the time or interest to scrap book so would this be a good alternative? If so, do you have any recommendations? How do I start. I feel overwhelmed cause I have so many pictures to print and store!

Thanks!

CALIflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 12-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Super Moderator

View gma2rjc's Photo Album My Photos

Hi CALIflower, welcome to the forum.

I'm impressed. You're a step ahead of some people (like me) who don't get very many pics developed since getting a digital camera.

Here's an idea: Say you get 50 pictures printed from a birthday party. Pick out the very best ones. Maybe 5 or 6 of them. Put those in an album and store the rest of the pictures. It's a good idea to have a few pics in an album because you're much more likely to pull out a photo album and look through the pictures than you are to grab a box full.

Make sure you write the date, event and names on the back of the pictures. Even on the one's you put in the album. You probably already do that, but I thought I'd mention it.

You can buy photo-safe boxes at craft stores and scrapbook stores. Make sure the label says "photo safe" , "Acid Free" or "Archival" on the label.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you can also buy plastic photo storage boxes with a handle on them. The main advantage of these is that if water gets spilled or other sources of moisture come in contact with them, your photos won't get wet. The cardboard boxes will get wet and, if you don't notice the problem right away, mold and mildew can cause a problem.

Years ago, when I started sorting my photos to properly store them, I bought one of the plastic boxes and filled it (it holds about the equivalent of two shoe boxes). But they're a little expensive, so the rest of my pictures are stored in the photo safe cardboard boxes. I have about 19 of them. I'm thinking about buying the XL Ziploc bags and storing the boxes in them and putting a silica packet in each bag to absorb the moisture.

When you think about it, if your house caught fire, if the flames don't ruin your pictures, the water from the fire hoses probably will.

Quote:
How do I start.
Take one box at a time into a room where there is lots of space to spread out and it helps if it's a room that's not going to have a lot of people walking through it. You can also use a table top. Sort the photo's by date. Buy or make acid-free index cards. I make mine from acid free cardstock. Put the pics in the box in order. Then when you're done, label the outside of each box. It's not a bad idea to put a couple thick rubber bands around the box to hold the lid on, if the boxes are going to be handled or moved very much.

The reason I suggest a room with lots of space and little traffic is that it would be nice if you can walk away from the stacks of pictures that are spread out and leave them where they are until you can come back to them. I had to do mine on the living room floor while there were toddlers running around. Not smart on my part.

With thousands of pictures to do, you have your work cut out for you. But do a little at a time and you'll be done in no time.

Good luck! I hope this helps.

Barb

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I'll try to keep it short this time.

I don' know if you have kids or not. I'm assuming you do since you have so many pictures.

When I'm sorting my pictures and I find several shots that are very similar, I set the extras aside. I have a photo box with my grandson's name on it. I put the pictures that I think will be meaningful to him inside the box.

Some day, when I can see that he's a responsible adult and he'll take care of his box, I'll give it to him.

If anything happens to me before that time, whoever is going through my things should know that he should get that box.

Here's how far behind I am on developing pictures. I now have two other grand children, who are one and three. I haven't started a box for either one of them. It's on my list of things to do.

Barb

Old 12-22-2009, 01:14 AM   #4

Hi gma2rjc,

Thanks for responding and Merry Christmas to you as well. Actually, I have animals. I have taken thousands of pictures, not just of them (mostly, though!), but all of my travels, family, events. I am overwhelmed at the amount of pictures I need to store. Before digital cameras, I used to put all of my pictures in photo albums. Over time I filled up like 30+ photo albums and now I'm running out of room! That's when I thought about photo boxes. I figured I could store thousands of pictures and take up much less space. Do photos get ruined over time in these vs photo albums?

I still have several thousand to print, so I'm way behind, too, LOL
Old 12-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Lol, I have too many pics of my dog and cats. It's hard to not take pictures of them when they do such cute things. Do you do wildlife photography too?

Either way of storing the your picdtures is fine. As long as the package says it's photo safe or acid free, etc.

One thing to be concerned about is the quality of the albums you're using already. If they are the old 'magnetic' ones with the plastic page covers that peel back and the thin adhesive strips to hold the photos to the page, you'll want to consider transferring them to a safer album. Those can be very damaging to you pictures.

That being said, I went through my mom's photo albums and transferred hers from the old magnetic albums to safe albums. The pictures I took out didn't appear to have any damage or discoloration after 30+ years. However, some of the pictures were stuck to the adhesive strips and couldn't be removed without me damaging them. I had to use Un-du to remove them.

This is kind of off the subject, but have you ever seen the digital picture frames? I don't know how they work, but they're pretty neat.

Barb

Old 12-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Craft Intern

View scelestic's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to scelestic

Since they are digital why dont you just back them up on external hard drives until your ready to print the ones you want (because im sure you wont use every photo you have). Just print them when you need them. Since you can print digital photos at home it shouldn't be too much of a inconvenience to do it this way. Though I am a photographer and not a scrapbooker so I usually end up with 300+ photos from a shoot and only print / put on the web 1-3 of them. Though my mom is a scrapbooker and backs her photos up on a external hard drive and prints what is needed at home on photo paper when she needs it.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
Craft Addict

View Angela's Photo Album My Photos

I was going to suggest sorting through them on your computer and choosing which ones to print. You have taken thousands of photos but is every single one something you need a hard copy of?
Since you haven't printed some of them them yet, My opinion is that you should sort them out first. Then you won't have piles of photos lying around for the animals to step all over etc. Then you can print as you go instead of all at once. I would imagine that would help you keep your sanity a little.

I think it was Barb who said not to get those magnetic albums. I call them sticky photo albums. I spent an entire summer transferring my pictures from sticky albums to the kind with pockets (I like flipping through a book, plus you don't get fingerprints on them when they are in plastic)
It was a long process for me (I now have 18 albums, I think and most of them hold 400 pictures) but totally worth it because the sticky album was ruining my pictures. A lot of them are crumpled or bent from me prying them out of the album, and a lot of them are sticky on the back.
Luckily for me, my wedding album hadnt gotten to that stage and those pictures are all okay.

Do the job in chunks. It is overwhelming to have all your pictures around you at once. Trust me. It sucks some of the fun out when it is overwhelming too.

It'll be worth the effort.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:51 AM   #8

Default Photo boxes vs photo albums

Thanks everyone! Great ideas! I never thought about an external hard drive. I am going out this week to buy one. Thanks for letting me know about the magnetic photo albums. ALL of my photos so far are in those! Yikes!

I am looking on Amazon.com for acid-free plastic photo boxes. Hopefully I can salvage my photos out of the albums in time!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Good luck with your pictures.

Since you have a lot of photos in those albums, you'll be glad if you stop at a craft store and pick up some Un-du. There's a good chance that at least some of your pictures will be stuck to the pages.

Un-du is sold in a bottle with a 'spatula' on top. When the liquid comes out of the bottle, the spatula directs it under the picture and it dissolves the adhesive so that the picture lifts off the page without being damaged.

It seems odd to be using a liquid on a precious picture. But Un-du will not damage your pictures. I used it to remove pictures from WWII from my late father-in-laws magnetic photo albums.

Barb

Old 01-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #10

View mohsin's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIflower View Post
Hi all. I have a question. I have thousands of pictures since I got a digital camera years ago. The problem is I don't have nearly enough room for all of the photo albums I will need for all of these pictures. I thought about transferring all of my pictures from photo albums to photo boxes instead. That way I could put several hundred photos in 1 photo box and still have lots of room.

Does anyone know if photo boxes are OK to store and protect photos long term? I just don't have the time or interest to scrap book so would this be a good alternative? If so, do you have any recommendations? How do I start. I feel overwhelmed cause I have so many pictures to print and store!

Thanks!
Photo box is a better option to store a lot of pictures as you do not have to take care of all the albums. Just keep the photos in photo box. I searched for that on internet and came across aphotographydirectory.com. I then came to know that storing photographs in a photo box saves space and it is easy to handle and manage the photos. You will have to put some effort in the beginning after that do the printing regularly and keep storing them. That would be easy for you.
mohsin is offline   Reply With Quote