Craft Forum  
Go Back   Craft Forum > Arts and Crafts > Sewing and Needlework

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
Craft Intern

View Amanda's Photo Album My Photos
Default Waldorf doll making

I am attempting to make my very first one. I am going solely off of internet tutorials. I purchased everything that I think I will need from online and it should all be here by Friday. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Any good links to free clothing patterns for a 16 inch doll?

Join CraftForum.com

Join Craft Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

CraftForum.com is a free community of crafty people who enjoy making projects and sharing ideas and tips with each other. It doesnít matter if youíre just getting started or if youíre an old pro, youíll find the Craft Forum is a great community to join. Best of all itís totally free!

Join CraftForum.com - Click Here
JOIN FOR FREE

Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Pro Crafter

View DangerMouse's Photo Album My Photos

Gee... I want a Waldorf doll... and a Statler doll too!

DM
Attached Images

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Craft Addict

View Angela's Photo Album My Photos

Wrong Waldorf, DM. I'd like some of those ones too!

You should get a good response soon Amanda. There is at least one member here who makes them.

My daily project was completed on January 25, 2012, but you can still visit my blog The Daily Turtle if you would like to see my adventures making or photographing a turtle every day for a year.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Craft Intern

View Amanda's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks Angela! I hope so
Old 03-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
Pro Crafter

View weareborgswife's Photo Album My Photos

Hi Amanda... I just saw this... how is your doll coming along? I have made quite a few in the last year!
Want to recommend a book that has great tips, patterns (for dolls and clothes) Making Waldorf Dolls by Maricristin Sealy It is the BEST book I've seen on doll making (and I checked out everyone I could find from the library!). It is spendy but worth every penny.

Here are my extra tips gained from experiance and from other people's recommendations:
Use a chopstick for doing arms and legs and for stuffing- for arms and legs make small tight balls of wool for feet and hands and stuff thumb, then roll the wool around the chopstick in a length that is needed for the arm, then slide it in like a sock- this makes for a hard tight foot/hand and then a smooth arm (try and stuff inside the "tube" you made if you need extra stuffing- hard, but possible)

Not sure if you purchased craft thread for tying head, but waxed dental floss works really well, and since it is waxed it helps keep your knots from slipping a bit better than craft thread, and its easy to find and cheap !

Things that she recommended that my other kit patterns didn't was to use a zig zag stretch stitch when sewing the body. Totally helps keep seams from popping when you stuff.

Also I sew BEFORE I cut pieces out then cut to my seam allowance, this helps keep the machine from "eating" the knit edges. Also be sure to use the ball point needle and depending on how your machine sews, you may need to slightly stretch the fabric when sewing across the grain to avoid skipped stitches. If you do get "holes" or skipped stitches, you can just sew over them again with the machine or hand sew them.

I also use a vanishing marker to trace my patterns and for marking my eye/mouth placement- I use pins to mark the eye and mouth first then remove them and draw the size/shape eyes/mouth I want to make- helps me make them even and straight.

When sewing eyes/mouth, I use the doll makers needle to go in from the front, (no knot in the thread) remove doll needle, tie a knot at the back of the head, then use a smaller needle to stitch features for eyes, then re-attach doll needle to get "tail" to back of head on last stitch. For the mouth, go in your first hole from the front, then tie in back, rethread doll needle in front stitch to back of head- if you want a double stitch mouth, then use doll needle to come back to front and then back to back of head.

Get a good thimble and be sure to "catch wool" when attaching the head and hair- if you just sew in the fabric you can risk the "skin" getting a run in it. This means you have to push HARD sometimes to get it through, which makes for sore fingers. Thimbles help a ton.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions - you may be done by now, but figured I'd give you my 2 cents in case you haven't
weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
Newbie Crafter

View chitralaras's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to chitralaras

Hi Amanda,

first time I made waldorf doll, I check some videos on you tube
It would help alot hehhe.

And also, I think the hardest part would be making the right proportion of everything and stitch the face.

Sometimes, I would use glue to connect the edges of lips and eyes to make it more beautiful.

For the hair, you can your a thicker wool to make it more interesting.
however, as long as it is neat, your waldorf will look amazing.

For the clothes pattern, I usually make it by myself and use the pattern as a kids clothes pattern.

Enjoy!
Old 12-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Newbie Crafter

View NannaDansr's Photo Album My Photos

What wonderful tips I read here. Thank you!

Very valuable.
with warmth
NannaDansr
NannaDansr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
Super Moderator

View gma2rjc's Photo Album My Photos

WBW, if you get a chance to take a look, NannaDansr also posted a thread asking a few questions about Waldorf dolls here...

greetings -Waldorf doll making

Barb

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
Newbie Crafter

View loakon's Photo Album My Photos

Nice tips.. I think I like to try

Old 01-26-2015, 03:45 PM   #10
Newbie Crafter

View Tessin's Photo Album My Photos
Default Help with seam allowance

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareborgswife View Post
Want to recommend a book that has great tips, patterns (for dolls and clothes) Making Waldorf Dolls by Maricristin Sealy It is the BEST book I've seen on doll making (and I checked out everyone I could find from the library!).
Hi,
Since you recommended this book I was wondering if you could give me some advice regarding seam allowance. I am starting my first doll, the large traditional limbed doll, and the author recommends adding 1cm for seam allowance. I am not sure what to do about between the legs, because there isn't enough space to add a cm to each side - there is only about 1 cm total. I am planning to sew the whole thing by hand so I thought I would cut out before I sew. But I'm wondering if I should just split the center distance as seam allowance and cut it out or try to stitch it and then cut to seam allowance as you suggest. Thanks for any insights!

Tess
Tessin is offline   Reply With Quote